Question

Failed to create an item in Webflow The app returned "ValidationError: Provided ID is invalid".

• 25 July 2023
  • 8 replies

I’m trying to update live items from Outlook Calendar to Webflow CMS. My create new event is working just fine but my update live items returns this error 

Failed to create an item in Webflow

The app returned "ValidationError: Provided ID is invalid".

I’m guessing I’m not putting the right information into the required item field but I have no idea what that is supposed to be. Creating new live event Zap did not require the “item” field.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jakeschlegel86 

Good question.

From the screenshots we can’t tell for sure which Webflow action you are trying to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jakeschlegel86 

It’s likely the Item field expects the internal Webflow Item ID.

I’m trying update a live item in Webflow.

I have calendar events autopopulating in the CMS when they are created in Outlook. If someone changes the location of one of those events in Outlook, I want that to update on the live item in Webflow. 

Where would I find an internal Webflow Item ID? It looks like the only options I have is information from the Outlook Calendar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jakeschlegel86 

The Webflow Item ID comes from Webflow.

For example if you were to use the Create (Live) Item Zap action for Webflow, it would return an Item ID.

Example of a Webflow Item ID as seen in the Webflow CMS collections.

If you are trying to have Outlook be used as the Zap trigger, then either you need to have the Webflow Item ID originally sent to Outlook to then be passed back and parsed from the Outlook trigger data payload.

Or you would need to use the Webflow CMS API to find the Item to get the Item ID.

Zap action: Webflow - API Request

anywhere I can find a tutorial to walk me through this. This is over my head. Why wouldn’t Outlook be the zap trigger? It’s the trigger for creating the new live event. So of course any edits on the calendar events will happen on outlook.

The only options I’m getting on Zapier for the item ID is from Outlook. Shouldn’t it be giving me options from Webflow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jakeschlegel86 

Unfortunately, there won’t be a tutorial specific to your use case.

The app used in a Zap step will provide data from that app.

• Outlook will provide data from Outlook
  • Webflow will provide data from Webflow

Sounds like you have 2 Zaps.

There would need to be a unique ID available to be used between the 2 Zaps to connect the dots.

Zap 1

1. Trigger: Outlook - New Calendar Event
  2. Action: Webflow - Create Live Item
    1. This creates the Item ID that Zap 2 needs in Step 2
      1. But this does not get saved to the Outlook Calendar Event that triggered the Zap to run
    2. Ideally, you would add Step 3 to this Zap to do: Outlook - Update Calendar Event
      1. This would allow you to save the Webflow Item ID into the description of the Outlook Calendar Event to then be parsed in a new step in Zap 2
      2. BUT there is no Zap action for Outlook Update Event
      3. So your options are:
        1. use a more advanced approach using either the Webflow CMS API or the Outlook API
        2. log the data somewhere to reference and update across the Zaps (e.g. GSheets/Airtable)

Zap 2

1. Trigger: Outlook - Updated Calendar Event
  2. Action: Webflow - Update Live Item
    1. This step needs the Webflow Item ID to update the Item
    2. This value would need to come from Outlook Zap 2, Step 1
      1. Meaning the Outlook Calendar Event from Zap 1, Step 1 would need to be updated in Zap 1 to save the Webflow Item ID to reference in this Zap

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts/automation-ace

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @jakeschlegel86 ,

A “Find Live Item” search action would be great here, but unfortunately there isn’t one on this Webflow integration. I've added you to an open feature request for this so the Webflow team is aware of your interest.

An expert may be able to get this to work using the API Request feature Troy mentioned. This is the endpoint I’d start from

The “main” Community thread discussing this issue is here.