Question

Failed to create an item in monday.com: Invalid value for undefined on undefined. Item not found

• 16 August 2023
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is my overall goal: to feed information from a Salesforce Account and its corresponding Opportunity and Opportunity Products into a Monday board. Then, update specific corresponding cells in Monday when either the Stage or other specific fields change. 

Right now, I have two Zaps set up:

• The first Zap: takes care of creating the row in Monday with the information from the Account, Opportunity, & Opportunity Products. I think i have set this up successfully - it seems to work when I did the test. Here is the flow I am using:
    • Trigger: Updated field on Record in Salesforce
    • Action 1: Find Record in Salesforce (pulling in Account information)
    • Action 2: Find Record in Salesforce (pulling in the Opportunity information)
    • Action 3: Find Record in Salesforce (pulling in the Opportunity Product information)
    • Action 4: Create item in Monday.com
    • **I want to note that I am sending over into a field within Monday the corresponding opportunity ID so I can use that to find what row I need to update in my second zap below.
  • The second Zap: trying to update fields in Monday when the stage or other specified field changes on the Opportunity in Salesforce. THIS IS WHERE I’M HAVING TROUBLE. My current set up:
    • Trigger: Updated Record in Salesforce (trigger is on Salesforce Object = Opportuunity)
    • Action 1: Get Item by Column Value in monday.com 
      • for column to search in, I selected the SF Opportunity ID and columns to receive, I selected the SF Opp ID (which is the column in Monday that houses the SF Opportunity ID)
      • Note: my test was successful when I ran it
    • Action 2: Change Multiple Columns Values in Monday.com
      • for item ID I selected the Salesforce Opportunity ID field
      • This is where my test failed. I got the following error: 

Failed to create an item in monday.com

Invalid value for undefined on undefined. Item not found

Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @cfalcone01 ,

Can you show me the screenshot of how did you configure second Zap Action 1 and Action 2 ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, here is a screenshot from Action 2 (after Trigger):

The Object id is the Salesforce Opportunity ID

Action 3:

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @cfalcone01 ,

In Action 3, Replace object id with item id value from Action 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Action 2 and Action 3 uses the same Object ID field

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cfalcone01 

For Step 3, the Item ID field needs the Monday Item ID found in Step 2, since you are updating a Monday Item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @Troy Tessalone. The test worked, I’m going to publish to confirm the overall process works. Appreciate both of your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I went to Publish my first Zap (the one that sends the Salesforce data to Monday) and tried to transfer over existing data, I got the following error:

“Salesforce: Required field "Search Value" (searchValue) is missing.”

My test when initially setting this up worked. 

Any suggestions? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

Check your Zap Runs history details log to see the DATA IN/OUT to help you troubleshoot why a required field had a missing value.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

awesome, thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Follow-up question:

On my monday.com board, the same customer may be listed in more than 1 row with some columns having the same information and some columns having different information. For example, in the screenshot below, Customer 1 was sent over twice because they’ve purchased 2 different products with us. These unique products are pulling from the “Opportunity Product” object on the Opportunity but the cells such as “Latest Update” and “Stage” are the same for each row of this customer because they are pulling from the Opportunity. 

When my second Zap runs (when a change is made to a field on this Opportunity in Salesforce), I want the fields in both rows to update. Right now, it looks like it is only updating the first row for this customer 1. 

What can I do? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

Most Zap triggers/actions work on a per record basis, meaning only 1 record.

To find multiple records, you’d have to use the Monday GraphQL API: https://developer.monday.com/apps/docs/mondayapi

App APIs can be used in Zaps with these apps:

• Code
  • Webhooks
Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t have any engineering resources to use for this. Are there any alternative ways of setting this up? or some sort of action to say “update for every matching value within the column?”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

In order to return multiple Monday Items, you’d need to use the Monday GraphQL API.

Then you can use the Looping app to update each Monday Item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone for my initial trigger on the Zap to initially add Salesforce data to my Monday.com board, do I need to select an option from the “Field Updated Timestamp” dropdown? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

We would need to see screenshots of what you are referring to have context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

here you go

right now I don’t have any value in this field. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

That is an optional field.

Check the field description (more) for guidance.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I did - I still wasn’t clear to me. I just want to make sure that if I left this blank, it wouldn’t impact the zap from creating a row in Monday when a SF Opp moved into Contracting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

If applicable, you would select a Salesforce timestamp field that is configured in Salesforce to log a timestamp whenever that 1 specified field is updated.

But it’s an optional field.

When in doubt, test it out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since I can’t update each product line using this Zap, I have another idea on how to accomplish this flow but want to confirm this is the right though process:

(1) I push the Salesforce data into a Google Sheet. Using Salesforce Connector, I can have this data refresh every x hours. This would refresh the data for each product line even for the same customer (as I was hoping to do in the comment with my screenshot above). 

(2) I then use a Google Sheets > Monday.com Zap to:

• add data when a new row is created
  • update information in Monday when an update is made in Salesforce which would be reflected in the Google Sheet

I found this article that talked about how you can update existing values in Monday.com from a Google Sheet - are these still the recommended steps? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

You may need to also include the Opportunity Product object ID as a field on the Monday Board Item.

That would be a unique data point that you could use to loop thru and lookup the Monday Item to then update the Monday Item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried that but for some reason it doesn’t have Opportunity Product ID as an option in the dropdown of fields to select. Here is a screenshot:

Here is my Zap flow:

and here is how I tried to have it configured to go off of the Opp Product ID:

Trigger Step (the trigger needs to be a field changes on the Opportunity): 

The first Action step (#2 in this flow):

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

Try searching for “Opportunity Product” to narrow the results and make sure to scroll down to see if there are more options.

Or you can add a Zap step: Salesforce - Find Record (search by Opportunity Product Name)

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone I did scroll down that list and it isn't there. I'll try the find record option and report back. Thank you so much for all your help and being so responsive!! Really appreciate the great support!