Question

Failed to create a transcription in OpenAI (GPT-3, DALL-E, Whisper) 504 Gateway Time-out

• 31 August 2023
  • 5 replies

This post was split from topic: 

I am having a similar error to @Tim_wienboeker.

I am using a Google Drive File object, not a URL. The file is a 6.3 mb MP3 that is 26 minutes long, mono audio with a sample rate of 22khz. It triggers the following error in the Whisper stage of the Zap.

504 Gateway Time-out.

Failed to create a transcription in OpenAI (GPT-3, DALL-E, Whisper)

<html> <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> <body> <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

The same Zap works fine when tested with another file that is 10 minutes long and 2.5mb.

OpenAI state that the Whisper API has a file limit of 25mb so my 6mb file should parse fine.

I found a similar issue with a user using the OpenAI API with Whisper “Whisper API server error for long (not big) files”: https://community.openai.com/t/whisper-api-server-error-for-long-not-big-files/135563

I believe this issue I am seeing is due to a bug in either the Zapier implementation of Whisper, or the Whisper API, as it should support files up to 25mb.

Is anybody else having a similar issue and are you perhaps able to provide support on this @Troy Tessalone 

Many thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @garycheetham,

I moved your reply to a new topic. I hope you don’t mind!

​This type of "Internal Server Error" (50*) error can happen from time to time when a server is under heavy load, or if the data trying to be passed is too large or for a whole variety of other circumstances. 

Since this happens on the other app's end we can't see exactly what might be the specific problem here, but the good news is that these issues are usually short-lived. Generally, once they settle back down.

Have you tried skipping the action step, and tried publishing the Zap? If so, does the error persist in the Zap history?

Please keep us posted!

I’m having the same issue. Inside dropbox and with a file that is 15mb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that you’re also running into that “504 Gateway Time-out” error here, @nexuslux.

As Ken mentioned, these timeout errors are usually intermittent and will often resolve themselves a little while later. That said, are you seeing that error in the Zap editor when testing, or is it appearing in the Zap History

If it’s in the Zap editor are you able to skip the test for now and publish the Zap to check whether the error persists?

If it’s appearing in the Zap History, (and if you’re on a paid plan) are you able to replay the errored run of the Zap to see if it’s now able to run successfully?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Curious to know if these issues genuinely went away or persisted? I’m uncomfortable building my zap and putting it live only for it not to work in the long run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Ed M 👋

garycheetham also had another topic in Community discussing this error: 

We initially thought that it might be due to some recent incidents that were occurring on OpenAI’s end. But those have since been resolved and folks appear to still be running into these “504 Gateway Time-out” errors. So if you’re still encountering these errors I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team and OpenAI to investigate further. 

Since we’ve already got one topic discussing these errors I’m going to close this one out. For anyone who comes across this and wants to be kept informed, please subscribe to the other topic to be kept up to date with any news or updates.