Best answer

Failed to create a message in OpenPhone: The app returned, "The 'To' number is not a valid phone number.

• 17 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I created a Zap to send a confirmation text message to a person after they have requested pricing information from me. The Zap sends contact data from Sprout Studio to OpenPhone. However, the test shows a "+1" country code is added to beginning of the phone number when the contact is created in OpenPhone. This causes the following error in OpenPhone:

Before submitting the test, Zapier confirms I did NOT add the “+1” country code. In the screen shot below, you can see the ‘to:’ field shows (123) 456-7890.

In the ‘To’ field, you can see the data I inserted from Sprout Studio, and as you can see, I did not add the “+1” country code:

However, when the sample contact is created in OpenPhone, the “+1” country code is added. See the screen shot of the sample contact created in OpenPhone using Zapier:

Can someone help me understand how Zapier is adding the +1 country code? Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 18 June 2023, 01:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @HoneyTribe 

Good question.

The error is indicating the phone number is not valid, rather than saying the format of the phone number is invalid.

Try testing with a real mobile phone number.

Userlevel 1

This solved the issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @HoneyTribe,

Awesome! I’m glad Troy was able to help you solve the issue.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hello!  So I’m receiving the same error but I know the phone number is infact valid. It’s my personal cell phone number. I even tried using another valid cell phone number and it’s still coming back with the same error. 

Please advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Craig Sheller,

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied yesterday with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

I look a look at your Zap and it looks like the cause of that issue has to do with some additional data that was added to the To field that is making that information invalid:

As you can see, along with that phone number is also the text contact information. Because of that, you'll want to delete that text there so that just the phone number is left in the To field.

Give that a try and let us know if you're still running into issues or any other questions.

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.

Userlevel 1

Thank you!