Skip to main content

Hello everyone, 

I’ve been having trouble with a Zap that is integrated with Excel and Microsoft Outlook. For the Excel trigger, when a new row updates (as long as it does not contain “not yet” or passed”), then it will send an email to a recipient in the respective row.

Essentially, this zap is for those who’s memberships have expired. When their membership expires, the expiration date column will turn from “not yet” to today’s date.

The issue I am having is that whenever the expiration date column updates, it is not identifying the rows who’s columns have changed from “not yet” to today’s date. Instead, it picks up random rows and tries to send emails to those recipients (of course, it will not work because those rows are not updated to today’s date). 

Here are some photos to better describe the situation. Let me know if you need any further information. 

This member, Michael, does not expire until next year, however, the zap read this row as it was updated. 
Filter condition
Zap steps

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you :)

Hi @Eli Queso 

The Zap trigger being used is Excel Updated Row.

Any time, any cell in a row is updated, the Zap will trigger.

So if there are lots of other updates being made to Excel rows, then the Zap will trigger a lot, and likely result in a lot of Zap Runs with Status = Filtered.

A different approach would be to use Airtable instead of Excel.

Airtable has Views, which are segments of data. (sort, filter, etc.)

Views can be used to trigger an automation (in Airtable or a Zap).

The idea being to create a View that has the desired Filter conditions, so when records match those conditions, the records move into the View, thus triggering the automation only when the conditions are met.

Airtable has native automations.

Airtable Automations have a native integration with Outlook.

Even if I state the specific trigger column?

@Eli Queso 

Zap action: Excel - Updated Row

Description: Triggers when a row is added OR updated in a worksheet.

That means the Zap will trigger for all NEW rows AND for UPDATED rows for the specified Trigger column.

The new rows triggering is likely what is causing the confusion, but that is the expected behavior for this Zap trigger event.