Question

Finding exact match in Jira Software Cloud with special characters using the "Find Issue" action.

• 29 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Using the “Find Issue in Jira Software Cloud” action, I need to be able to find an EXACT match in Jira.

I’m running into the issue where any “Summary” in Jira with hyphens, slashes, etc are not being picked up and I believe it’s caused by Jira’s fuzzy search.

How can I ensure it selects the EXACT match that I’m looking for?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Grant Robbins!

Just to clarify, are you saying that in Jira Software Cloud the issues have hyphens, slashes, etc. But when you add that exact thing in the Find Issue step, nothing is being found?

I want to make sure I’m understanding the issue, so that if this is a feature request we can capture that accurately :)

Userlevel 1

Essentially. So I have it reading from a SmartSheet sheet, the cell has the exact same value as what is in Jira “Summary” and the Find Issue Action is failing. 

An example is “Test - Epic - 1” will not be found in Jira even if it is exactly the same on each side. However, if I were to do “Test-Epic-1” it picks it up no problem. Same thing with slashes. 

So really it’s “ - “ in any search fails for me. Which I don’t understand because it should be searching for exact matches similar to a VLOOKUP specified to exact match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Grant Robbins,

It looks like you have reached out to our Support team regarding this issue. Here’s their latest response:

I wonder if this is because of Word Stemming in the Jira search. 

Word stemming

The New Row in Smartsheet is a polling trigger. The first search found the wrong issue because it used the word stemming. The following polling attempt would have found the same record, but it would have been skipped because we already saw it, so the second run found what you wanted. 

Can you check if word stemming is enabled? If so, can you turn it off and test it again?

I suggest continuing the conversation with our fantastic Support team. They'll be able to dive deeper into your Zap, examine the logs, and pinpoint the exact cause of the issue you're experiencing.

Thank you for your understanding! 😊