Question

Error: Your Gmail data can only be sent to approved apps. The app you are using is no longer supported

I have successfully integrated and tested a gmail to asana integration. When a new email comes in matching a search criteria, a task is created in Asana. I have tested this. It works. Before turning on, I get the following error message: 

Gmail has some additional requirements

Your Gmail data can only be sent to approved apps.

Unfortunately, the app you are using is no longer supported.

You'll need to edit your Zap to turn it back on.

I am not seeing any updates online that Gmail no longer integrates with Asana?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @clmontgomery11 

Good question.

Free Gmail accounts can only send data to approved apps.

Paid Gmail accounts have no app restrictions.

So do you mean paid gmail or paid zapier account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@proseuxomai 

Paid Gmail accounts have no app restrictions.

My Gmail Zap has an error about connecting to Google-approved or not-approved apps

Starting May 26, 2019, users with a consumer Gmail account - which end in @gmail.com or @googlemail.com - will have limitations on which apps they can send Gmail information to, in compliance with Google's new security protocols. These accounts look like this in your Gmail dashboard:

Business Gmail accounts—which have a custom domain on their email address like @mywebsite.com —can still use the Gmail integration with any app on Zapier without limitations. These accounts look like this in your Gmail dashboard (note the yellow banner):

If you have a consumer Gmail account connected in your Zaps that is sending information to other apps, starting on May 26, 2019 you should be able to send information to only these currently Google-approved apps. This list is a work in progress and we're working with Google to grow it:

If you're creating a Zap with your consumer Gmail account and try to turn it on, we'll automatically let you know if you are trying to send data to an approved app, and ask for re-authorization for each new approved app. You'll have until June 26, 2019 to authorize your consumer Gmail account with each approved app from the list above. If a Zap connecting your consumer Gmail to an approved app is not re-authorized by June 26, 2019, you'll receive errors about not being able to connect before those Zaps are automatically turned off. This will preserve your Zap setup, but your Zap will not be running until you've reauthorized to a Google-approved app.

We will also let you know if you are trying to send consumer Gmail account data to a non-approved app, which will not be allowed after May 26, 2019. Any Zaps that send consumer Gmail account data to a non-approved app will also receive errors about not being able to connect before those Zaps are automatically turned off. You can also inspect your affected Zaps and Accounts by clicking the below button:

View Affected Zaps and Accounts

If you're using an app that you'd like to be approved to connect with consumer Gmail accounts on Zapier, let our support team know through the contact form. Although we cannot guarantee at this time that an app will get approved by Google, we're happy to hear your request.

To keep your current Gmail and app integrations intact, another course of action is to begin using a business Gmail account with Zapier. You can do this by either forwarding emails to such an account or opening a G Suite account for your business. Doing so gives you access to all apps on Zapier.

Userlevel 1

I was facing the same problem and solved it by using google docs as an intermediate step. Thus, using two Zaps:

1. First Zap: I collect all the data I need from gmail and save it into a new row of an specific google docs spreadsheet
  2. Second Zap: For each new row created in the google docs spreadsheet, I do the action I wanted to do

As Gmail can connect with google docs and google docs do not have this “approved apps” limitation, it do works! 😍

Hope this helps anyone facing this same problem. Feel free to contact me for any doubts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you for this workaround @David Sabaté - TOTHOMweb! This will be helpful to our other awesome Community members.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the great tips, @David Sabaté - TOTHOMweb !!

I had the same problem and it took a lot of work, but your solution worked.
I leave my flow as a reference for those who have the same problems.

1. New Labeled Email in Gmail
  2. Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets (important😎)
  3. ChatGPT
  4. Create Draft in Gmail

If you have had the same problem, please try to be creative and give it a try😁

Best!

Here is the workaround you can try, using sub-zap to sperate it into to automation. 

I explain it here: 

I just came upon this issue. What a bummer. I found a workaround that may work for others out there. My zap needs to be triggered when I send out certain emails. Originally I had the trigger work when there was a new email in my inbox (which had subject filtering rules). Now I bcc those emails to my email parser by Zapier inbox and get to trigger a bunch of zaps I need to have happen in my Asana workflow. 

I’m getting the error connecting gmail with gdrive and is on the approved adds...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @diogon,

This error from Gmail usually occurs when trying to connect to certain apps with an @gmail.com email account due to Google's security policies https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495919107853-Common-Problems-with-Gmail-on-Zapier. However, connections to Google apps such as Google Drive should not be restricted.

I have a hunch this error appeared because you might be using the LEGACY version of Google Drive. Could you please use the latest version of Google Drive and try publishing the Zap again?

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

I get the error message in this Zap. I have now removed the use of any data from step 1 in step 7 and 9. Where is the problem? I read that all internal actions from Zapier should be supported?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @OddNordahl,

I believe this is due to the Files By Zapier app. It looks like it’s not possible to use @gmail.com Gmail accounts with Files By Zapier at the moment.

I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to create a feature request on your behalf.

You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks, @ken.a !

I recommend that Zapier updates documentation an improve on internal communication between teams :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @OddNordahl,

Thank you so much for this valuable feedback, this is how we build and grow Zapier! I've submitted it to our internal database, which our product teams use when looking to make improvements and changes to Zapier.