Best answer

Error when Publishing Zap in Teams Shared Channel: Missing Required Roles

• 7 November 2023
  • 12 replies

When trying to publish a Zap in a Teams Shared Channel, I get this message:

While requesting "dev_method" from Microsoft Teams we ran into an error: The app returned "Caller does not have the required roles for accessing 'Shared' channel data. To access 'Shared' data, API requires one of 'ChannelMessage.Read.All, Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All'. Roles on the r...". Caller does not have the required roles for accessing 'Shared' channel data. To access 'Shared' data, API requires one of 'ChannelMessage.Read.All, Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All'. Roles on the request 'Group.Selected'

icon

Best answer by ken.a 20 December 2023, 07:31

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Tom A 

Good question.

Can you post a screenshot in context of where you are seeing the error in the Zapier platform?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Tom A 

Did you review these help articles?

https://zapier.com/apps/microsoft-teams/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m having this issue too… that link didn’t provide help for the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FullerElectric 

Make sure the MS Teams account that is connected to Zapier has the proper roles/permissions for access as indicated by the error message.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We’re logging in as the same account that provisioned the the private channel. Is there a separate portal or something inside of Teams that needs to be configured?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FullerElectric 

Double check…https://zapier.com/apps/microsoft-teams/help

About the Microsoft Teams Integration

• Admin/owner permissions: Requires one of the following roles:
    • Global Administrator
    • Security Administrator
    • Security Reader or Privileged Role Administrator
  • Paid/versioned account: You need to be on a Microsoft Teams paid plan.

Error: "DataPostError: Problem creating Connected Account Test"

If you receive this error, this is because the Microsoft Teams Zapier integration does not support Microsoft Teams Free accounts.

More information on how to view your permission level in Microsoft Teams can be found here.

In addition, ensure your Microsoft Teams account that you're connecting to Zapier is one of the following administrator roles:

• Global Administrator
  • Security Administrator
  • Security Reader or Privileged Role Administrator
Userlevel 1
Badge

Still not working. I shouldn’t have to give global access for such a basic authentication function.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FullerElectric 

The provided help articles indicate the requirements for using the MS Teams app in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/microsoft-teams/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone  The very first part of that says “ensure your Microsoft Teams account that you're connecting to Zapier is one of the following administrator roles: Global Administrator, Security Administrator, Security Reader or Privileged Role Administrator.

That doesn’t seem like that’s a good idea from a security standpoint. I can post all day to Public channels in our Teams account but anything private or not shared, it throws that error. I wish someone could do a video walk through of how to set whatever permissions Zapier says we need on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Tom A and @FullerElectric,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like triggering on “Shared Channels” in Microsoft Teams app is not supported at the moment. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality. I have added you as another interested members to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps.

Hi there @Tom A and @FullerElectric,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like triggering on “Shared Channels” in Microsoft Teams app is not supported at the moment. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality. I have added you as another interested members to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps.

Hi there @ken.a,

I found that if I want to get or update content of MS Teams post, Zapier app must have ‘ChannelMessage.ReadAll’ and ‘ChannelMessage.ReadWrite’.

But it seems that I can’t grant these permissions and maybe Zapier team(or somewhere developed MS Teams integration..?) could.

I’m very looking forward to use these features :) 

Let me know if I found the wrong issue!

Regards,