Question

Error: Failed to create a send channel message in Slack Required field "Message Text" (text) is missing.

• 22 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi There!

I am getting an error message when trying to connect Google Sheets to Slack. I’d like to send a Slack message based on data being added to a specific column within a Google Sheet.

I received this message about the Message Field, and I have added a screenshot of what is within the “Message Text” field. I assume it has something to do with the “no data” info within the Message Text field? Any help would be appreciated! 

Failed to create a send channel message in Slack

Required field "Message Text" (text) is missing.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Zapnewbie 

Good question.

The Slack Message field is a required field that expects a value.

There is “No data” for all 3 mapped variables, this is why the error is occurring.

Make sure to test with a row of data that is populated for these columns.

Hi Troy,

I appreciate your response. I guess I am stuck because the spreadsheet does have data in all those columns, so I’m not sure why it says “No data.”

Is it possible this is showing up as no data because it’s an imported data sheet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Zapnewbie 

Check your Zap trigger step to see what Row ID is returned, that will help you troubleshoot.

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hiya @Zapnewbie (I’m right there with you!). 

Wondering how you’re getting along with your Zap, and if you were able to get to the right end with your GSheets. Let us know, and feel free to send additional printscreens if you’re still stuck, we’re here to help. 

Best,

Rachael