Best answer

Error: Failed to create a database item in Notion, path failed validation

• 11 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I am trying to update a notion database entry to done based on marking a task in tick tick as complete. I use tick tick as a quick capture tool and the bulk of my tasks are managed in notion. I get a uuid error though.

icon

Best answer by christina.d 16 December 2022, 01:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Scarbz 

Good question.

The Page field expects the internal Notion Page ID, not the Notion Page Name.

Similar to the Database value shown in the screenshot.

You can use this Zap action: Notion - Find Page (By Title)

Thanks Troy. I tried adding a search step but still got blocked. What do I add for Title here? I tried the task name and I tried using a taskID that Tick Tick generates (which I included in the notion database from my previous add to notion zap)

If I were to use say TaskName in the Title input box, I get this error when I do a test. I can see the notion database item added from my previous zap so the data is in notion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scarbz 

If you are using the action Notion Find Page (by Title), then it expects the title of the page.

If you are searching for a Notion Item on a page, then you can use this action: Notion - Find Database Item

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Scarbz!

It looks like you were able to reach my friends in support and I wanted to share a bit of they shared in case it’s helpful to anyone following along.

Spoiler: Troy nailed it. 🙂 

...it seems the issue comes from the value mapped in the Item field of the Update Database in Notion step. The Item field requires an ID. However, a human-readable text is being sent instead.

To add more context, whenever you see fields with a double-headed arrow on the right in the Zap editor, the connected app requires a specific ID value. When you click on each field, we will make a call to that app to ask them what values they expect. This will be shown in the drop-down menu that appears.

This ID value is required for the app to correctly parse the data. However, this dropdown field is static. If you'd like to dynamically update an item within Notion's database, you'd want to add 1 more step in your Zap, the Find Database Item in Notion, before the Update Database Item step.

The result of the Find step will return an ID that you can map in the Item field, so it dynamically updates every time the Zap runs.

Hope this helps!