Question

Error code 401 - authentication failed password entered for username is incorrect

• 11 January 2024
  • 1 reply

I have been running into this issue when connected my Wordpress site with the Zapier plugin

authentication failed: WordPress ran into an issue. Error code 401: <strong>Error:</strong> The password you entered for the username <strong>USERNAME</strong> is incorrect. <a href="https://SITENAME.wpcomstaging.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword">Lost your password?</a>

I have verified my email, username and password are all working fine. 

I have also attempted to create a user account for Zapier (listed on the Zapier help doc here, step #2) but when I attempt to add a user called Zapier it says “User invites blocked” so I cannot add zapier as a user at all. 

Some more info on my Wordpress setup: 

• Zapier plugin is active on my WP site
  • Do not have 2FA enabled 
  • Using the latest version 6.4.2 of Wordpress
  • Cannot uninstall the JetPack plugin (looks like it’s default part of the latest Wordpress versions. I noticed this was mentioned in other posts
  • Get the same issue when I try another user

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @followyourheart,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

One user who encountered the same error was able to resolve the issue with these instructions provided by WordPress:

• Wordpress.com login passwords won’t work, as apparently, the site’s password is different from the user's password.
  • In the Default View of the Users page, the options to manually set a user password and create an application password aren’t visible.
  • So, you need to switch to the Classic View:
    ?name=image001.png
  • From there, you can either:
    • Set a new password (which counts as a site password and not a user password for some reason), or
    • Create an application password for Zapier.

In addition, this error can also be caused by a security plugin or a Recaptcha plugin. Here is a list of the ones that can be an issue:

Jetpack, Wordfence Security, iThemes Security, WP Rocket, JWT Auth, WP-SpamShield, WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click, Limit Login Attempts Reloaded, SiteGuard WP Plugin, IP Geo Block, WPS Hide Login, reCaptcha by BestWebSoft, Profile Builder.

You'd need to check it by turning off one plugin at a time and connecting WordPress to Zapier after turning off a plugin.

Hopefully, this helps.