Question

Error 401: We hit an error adding your new account

• 6 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have been on this for over 2 h… The blogs and help have not seemed to help in anyway.

the site is https://uptcom.wpcomstaging.com/

things I have tried so far

1. turn off all plugins on installed plugin page (with the exception of akismet and jetpack because the do not have the option to do so)
  2. Reset WP password
  3. Deleted Zap
  4. Turned off and turned on Zap

I don’t know what to do… PLEASE HELP!

***Update****

now all of a sudden it’s “error 403”  all I did was create a zap with a wordpress (legacy trigger)

***Update**** ***Update****
Got it fixed
wordpress (legacy) zap responded to this website
http://uptcom.wordpress.com

***Update**** ***Update****  ***Update****

So legacy works but the normal one does not and now gives this error

“authentication failed: The Zapier WordPress plugin has not been activated on this WordPress site. Please install and activate it first:”

In the legacy one, I can’t complete the trigger because there are no values in the post status or post type.  I can write stuff in but it doesn’t stick or bring up any choices.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi@sisyphus jones, welcome to the Community! 

It sounds like you currently have two issues here:

1. You can connect to your WordPress website using the legacy version of the WordPress app, but it doesn’t allow you to select a post status or post type.
  2. The newer version of the WordPress app runs into an “authentication failed: The Zapier WordPress plugin has not been activated on this WordPress site. Please install and activate it first” error when you attempt to connect it to your WordPress website.

Am I understanding that correctly? 

If so, for the first issue:
I wouldn’t really recommend using the legacy version of the WordPress app as at some point it will no longer be supported. You can find out more about legacy apps here: What are legacy and deprecated apps? That said, I just did some testing in my own Zap and was able to load options for the Post Status and Post Type fields successfully:

24e165807dd5b5c6cb937391f167dd0c.png
e55614e1ff8479184f94c26f8e582cc1.png

Are the post status and type that you’re looking to select here custom rather than the standard options shown above? If so, that could explain why they aren’t appearing as the WordPress (Legacy) app doesn’t support custom post types or statuses.

For the second issue:

If the plugin is definitely installed and activated on the website perhaps it’s an issue with the rewrite rules? I found an internal note on this end that mentioned the following:

If you have your website setup to rewrite URLs by adding an ending slash be sure to add an exception for /wp-json/zapier/v1/token to your .htaccess file. For example:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/wp-json/zapier/v1/token$
RewriteRule ^(.*[^/])$ /$1/ [L,R]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]
</IfModule>```

Hopefully that helps. Please do give that a try and let us know how you get on! 🙂

for the first issue:
I don’t specifically want to use legacy apps… I’m just at a point of trying anything to get something to work.  thank you for the info though, now I know how those options are populated.

for the second issue:
This was a test website that I am easing into… I usually go for the renting out space on a server and building my site from scratch with ftp client folder access.  This time around I am going through wordpress.com so I don’t have access to the .htaccess file. 

is there any way for you to check if zappier works with wordpress.com websites? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @sisyphus jones,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging into our notes about wordpress.com websites, and it seems like in order to connect Zapier to WordPress, you need to install the Zapier plugin.

In addition, if you are using WordPress.com's hosting service, new plugins can only be installed if you are on WordPress's Business plan: https://wordpress.com/pricing/

Self-hosted WordPress sites do not need to subscribe to any WordPress subscription plans.

Help doc with instructions can be found here: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-get-started-wordpress-zapier

Hopefully, this helps.