Question

Empty file after receiving the file from Google Drive's folder

• 12 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hey folks!
I’m creating a Zap to listen for new audio files in my Google Drive folder and transcribe them usinG Open AI, however, I faced with some very odd behaviour, as the response from Step 1 has a bunch of metadata about the file except the file itself…

I was trying different formats: wav, mp3

And different types: audio, pdf, etc.

I’m just can’t get the file, I was trying to add as a step 2 a little hack to find a file by it’s ID or name using Google Drive, but the same issue, it finds the file with a lot of metadata except of the file…

I really stuck with that, if some of you know how to fix that issue, I will be incredibly grateful for this!!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Wahtel, thanks so much for flagging this!

I came across a similar issue with Google Drive recently, where the File field itself is no longer available to select from Upload File actions:

I suspect both are related to the same underlying issue that’s currently being investigated by our engineers. I’ll circle back in here with an update as soon as I can.

Until then, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello again @Wahtel! 👋

I’m pleased to report that our engineers have just pushed an update now which should have fixed the issue with the File field being empty. 🎉 

Can you try loading in a new test record to see if the File field now contains the file object

Hello!

Is there a wider issue with File field not containing the file?  I’ve tried uploading files via my Zap with both Drive and Box.  The File field is empty for both.

Hi, I am still encountering the empty file issue. @SamB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @N_Girling and @gary_user

@N_Girling - There was an issue with the File field in the Google Drive New File in Folder trigger being empty and another with the File field being unavailable in Google Drive Upload File actions previously, but the cause of those issues has since resolved.

You mentioned that uploading files to Box as well as Google Drive resulted in the File field being empty. Were you using a Box Upload File action was that pulling the file from a Google Drive New File in Folder trigger?

If so, then that might explain why there was an empty file field for that action. Was that the case here, or was the File field empty when using the Box New File trigger in your Zaps?

@gary_user - Can you confirm whether you’re using the latest version of the Google Drive app? Asking as I just checked in my own Zap and it was running version 1.0.2.

So if your Zap has the same or a similar version number appearing next to the name of the app can you try updating the app by clicking on the Update button and then re-test the trigger? 
29abc35f122ce3bb34979ab8f40363da.png

Then for any live runs of the Zap where an empty file was loaded you may need to either re-trigger the Zap for the missing file or (if on a paid plan) replay the entire run of the Zap. And for test records that had empty File fields loaded previously, you’d need to load in a new test record to be able to then have the file object be retrieved successfully.

Can you give the above a try and let me know if that resolves it?

Looking forward to hearing from you both!