Question

Emails generated by Zapier creating random line breaks

• 1 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

My emails sent out by Zapier actually get split out over different lines halfway through the sentences in the email provider window (Gmail). Any idea why this might be and how to mitigate?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, I’m sorry to hear that, @Community Hacked! We definitely want to help. 

I hope you don’t mind I split your question into it’s open topic since it appeared to be related to different apps. 

I know you mentioned it’s breaking randomly in the actual Gmail email. What app(s) are you using to create the original in? 

Are you able to share screenshots of the your zap setups (trigger and action with any personal details removed) as well as the actual email you receive?

Thanks so much and looking forward to digging into this with you! 

Dear @christina.d 

I have the exact same problem. The apps that I use are google sheets > gmail.

I am adding screenshots of the action set up and the email that is received.

Here is the “Set up action”

An this is the outcome in the Email (outlook)
Outcome in Gmail

To me this looks like it might be adapted to a mobile app screen.

Also, when I try to add a signature in the corresponding field, newlines are ignored the text is displayed in one line.

Desired outcome of signature:

“Name

Title

Phone Number”

Actual outcome:

“Name Title Phone Number”

I look forward to solving this issue. Please let me know if I can provide you any further details.

Best

M

Userlevel 1

@Community Hacked @christina.d @Mentos did you ever solve this? 

I’m having that same issue now!

@Community Hacked @christina.d @Mentos did you ever solve this? 

I’m having that same issue now!

Hi @rickieticklez,

No unfortunately, not. I solved it by switching to a mail merge software.

However I’d still be keen to solve it. @christina.d 

Best,

M

Userlevel 1

Thanks for letting me know!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Mentos @rickieticklez @Community Hacked 

I just want to confirm, does your signature contain HTML styling?

If so, then this is causing the Zap to think it's an HTML body. The solution here is you can fix this by either taking off the signature, or, if you need to keep the signature attached, you can add <br> to the end of each line.

You may want to give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I also can’t solve the issue with random breaks in plain email as described by @Community Hacked

Did you come up with the solution @christina.d @Brem ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @dima_f! 👋

Not sure if a different solution was found but if your email has random line breaks added and you’re using the Body Type of plain, not html then you may well be running into the same issue that was discussed here:

In which case it’s the expected behaviour as Gmail has a limit of 78 characters per line and will automatically add line breaks in to ensure the email adheres to that limit.

To get around this you may need to switch to use html as the Body Type instead and add HTML formatting to the Body field to ensure it displays as desired. 

Hope that helps. If that’s not the case or I’m misunderstanding the issue you’re running into, please share some screenshots of where the line breaks are being added incorrectly as well as your current set up for the Gmail action, and we’ll go from there. Please remove/hide any private information from the screenshot before sharing (like names, email addresses etc.).

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!