Question

Dropbox error: Formatting data failed: The app returned "Error (404)".

• 8 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello!

I created a zap a while back that imports a CSV file from email attachment, parses it with utilities and then uploads the necessary data to a variety of back-end integrations. I need to change the trigger from email to dropbox per new requirement, and getting a weird read error when trying to import the file into the formatter step.  

When choosing the option:  “File (exists by not shown)” I get the following error:

Formatting data failed

The app returned "Access Denied".

When choosing the option “Direct Media Link” I get the following error:

Formatting data failed

The app returned "Error (404)".

When choosing the option “Share Link” I get a successful parse of all the metadata, but not the actual data itself…

So question:  Which field should I be reading from and are there any specific rights on the file in order for it to be read by Zapier?  I’m connected with the admin account for dropbox, so I can definitely see the file and the data within.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @aleksb6 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered errors.

Make sure to use a fresh example from Dropbox as the file objects are temporary and expire after a short period of time.

Also, make sure to set the trigger to include file contents.