Question

Dropbox Create or Append text file cannot locate previously created file

• 9 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I am trying to generate a Txt file containing text generated sequentially in a loop. 

The new file is created in the same ZAP before the loop with some content in it.

Inside the loop, more text is generated and I am trying to add it to the previous file.

When I set up the ‘Create or Append text file in Dropbox’ action, it returns the error message fil/folder not found.

I have tried using the following field from the previous step of ‘Create or Append txt file in Dropbox’ (each one separately):

Path

File Name

Direct Media Link

Share Link.

All of them return file/folder not found, apart from ‘Direct Medi Link’ that returns a file name that is too long.

Any suggestion on why it is not working? Should search for the file first?

Thank you

vittorio

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VittorioP 

For us to have context, we would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

Thank you for answering. Here following is the ZAP with the file creation and the main loop. I can create a new file with the content generated but not append it to a previous one.

I have added some transformations to numbers to have the execution done sequentially (to avoid locking the file)

Personal space is defined, but not shown here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VittorioP 

The File Name field expects a File Name.

I don’t think you want to use the FIle Path as the field value.

Instead, try using the name of the File from Step 6.

Userlevel 1

I tried all the fields available:

Path

File Name

Direct Media Link

Share Link

But it cannot find it. I have also tried to use a Dropbox find action, and it can find the file. Something with file permissions on Dropbox?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VittorioP 

As an alternative, you can use GDrive/GDocs to append text to a file.

You may have to try using the Dropbox API via one of these actions:

Userlevel 1

I cannot use Gdrive for company policy; I must use Dropbox. I will try the other options that you mentioned. Thank you!

vittorio