Best answer

ConstantContact Update contact

• 26 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

We trying to setup a Zap to find a contact (or create if not found) and then update the contact. See the screenshots. Only it can’t find the customer when updating.

The found user, in the find Zap, is used to Update the user in the Update step. And the main goal is to add the user to the List. 

Hopefully somebody can help me with the problem! 

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 27 October 2022, 12:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @bindi 

In this part its asking for the contact ID but you are passing the Email Address ID, this is why, Usuauly the ID its looking for is the first item in the Custom dropdown of the previous step. If not, then look for the word ID

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bindi 

Good question.

On a separate note, it’s best practice to make sure your Zap steps are using the newest version of apps.

The (1.11.0) indicates there is a newer version of the Constant Contact Zap app available.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick replies! 

Hi @bindi 

Good question.

On a separate note, it’s best practice to make sure your Zap steps are using the newest version of apps.

The (1.11.0) indicates there is a newer version of the Constant Contact Zap app available.

With the find we didn’t used the latest, so no we are using the latest. 

Hi @bindi 

In this part its asking for the contact ID but you are passing the Email Address ID, this is why, Usuauly the ID its looking for is the first item in the Custom dropdown of the previous step. If not, then look for the word ID

And with the latest, we now also have the ID. See the screenshots. But we still get the error.

I tried the “update source” like Account, Contact and a custom “ZAP” as text. But all the 3 giving the same error. The error is saying failed to create, but with the Contact ID, it should give the error “failed to find for update” right?

Also in Constant Contact the user has the right role “Account owner”. 

Is there any log to do more debugging? When I click “troubleshout” I get this:

==

Your Zap is likely to be missing a required field, or a field value wasn't in a recognized format. For example, if a field in your action step is expecting an email address, but the value given is a name, the app may return a 400 error.

==

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @bindi 

If do have an idea, I think the app returns the ID of the contact as idXXXXXX instead of XXXXXX (which the app is actually expecting).

You might wanna add a Formatter by Zapier step AFTER creating the contact and BEFORE updating the contact. The formatter would be as follows: 

Event = Text

Transform = Split Text

Input = ID (where it says idXXXXXXXXXXX)

Separator = id

Segment Index = Last 

This should do the trick :)

Userlevel 1

Hi @bindi 

If do have an idea, I think the app returns the ID of the contact as idXXXXXX instead of XXXXXX (which the app is actually expecting).

You might wanna add a Formatter by Zapier step AFTER creating the contact and BEFORE updating the contact. The formatter would be as follows: 

Event = Text

Transform = Split Text

Input = ID (where it says idXXXXXXXXXXX)

Separator = id

Segment Index = Last 

This should do the trick :)

I see there was before the input an “id” in the text field, I accidentally put it there I think. Because of your tip if found it. So no formatter needed. But you need the flow Find, then update. Thanks it works now :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Awesome, glad it did :) Please mare the answer as Answer so others can benefit from it :)