Question

Constant Contact error: Cannot assign list memberships to email address in state unsubscribed

• 28 October 2023
  • 24 replies

Badge

Hi - I am new to zapier and have been trying not to rip my eyeballs out. I have spent the past several days trying to get this seemingly very simple zap to work and get error message every time.

I am trying to connect thrivecart to constant contact - when a specific product gets purchased, the customer’s email needs to get put onto a CC list. If it is a new customer, then a new contact needs to be made, but if they already exist, the contact just needs to be updated and added to the list.

I realized I needed a multi-step zap for this so I upgraded from the free account and still am unable to make it go. The most recent hurdle I am getting is the error message reading: “

Failed to create a contact in Constant Contact

Cannot assign list memberships to email address in state unsubscribed”

I don’t know how to fix this part… Here are screenshots… SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @zoes 

Good question.

The error means the email address being tested with has been unsubscribed.

Badge

But the data (email) was just pulled in through my test with thrivecart is with my email that has not been unsubscribed so i don’t know what to do

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @zoes,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Have you tried loading in a new sample data from the trigger step and using that new sample data to see if it’ll run into the same error?

Please keep us posted!

Badge

I did actually do that and was able to get the zap working for NEW contacts, however, if their email is already on my list it is not UPDATING the contact putting them on the correct list

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

Help info from Constant Contact

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/email-digital-marketing/articles/KnowledgeBase/5636-opt-outs-and-unsubscribed-contacts?lang=en_US

Our contact management system keeps track of unsubscribed contacts, even if you delete them from your account. If you upload a spreadsheet with contacts that have previously unsubscribed, they're still added to your list, but remain in the "unsubscribed" status and you're unable to email them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

Also, check the field description and more.

Badge

I heard back from customer support and was told to add in another filter step to look like this

and it says it is working with no errors, however when i do a test, the zap never runs and then i got this email

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

Can you provide screenshots from your Zap Runs that shows which step this error is related to?

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Badge

i am assuming it is the last step? this is what the zap currently looks like and screenshots of each step

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

We would need to see screenshots from the Zap Run that has the error: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Badge

it works for new contacts, but contact that need to be updated and added to the list this is the error

Badge

and for the other zap that is basically the same thing but for a different list doesn’t even have any history so when i tested it it never even ran

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

Can you show screenshots with how you Zap step 2 is configured?

The error indicates an email already exists for a contact.

So it hit an error when trying to create a new contact, because an existing contact wasn’t found.

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

I think you need to change the logic to this.

Then Paths
A) Create Contact if not found

B) Update Contact if found.

Badge

can you explain that in a bit more detail for me please?

is this what you are saying

step 1: product purchase

step 2: find or create a contact in cc

step 3: filter step, create contact if not found 

step 4: filter step, update contact if found

step 5: update contact in cc

i am not sure 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes

Step 2: CC - Find Contact

Paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917

Badge

Does this seem right? i feel like i am doing it incorrectly… not sure what the path rules would need to be for creating the new contact? Then when i do, i get the following error

Badge

it seems like i need to set up path rules for ‘make new contact” right?  I will try to test it

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zoes 

Set Step 6 Filter conditions to be the opposite of Step 4. (false)

Badge

i tried but it came with an error

Badge

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @zoes! 👋

Path 6 looks like it’s been set it up correctly. That warning message on the path isn’t an error as such. It’s just letting you know that the test data would not have continued for that path as it didn’t pass the selected rule conditions. This is incase you were expecting that path to have continued for the selected test data instead of being halted. 

As the Find or Create Contact action found an existing contact we would want this path not to run as this path should only run if a existing contact is not found by that action, as that would indicate that it’s a new contact that needs to be added:

95560b01fcec649631ff9b98107a0c2b.png

When the Zap is switched on and running only one of the paths will successfully run and either update an existing contact or create a new one - depending on the outcome of the Find or Create Contact action.

Hope that helps to clarify things here. Let us know if you run into any further issues or questions at all! 🙂