Skip to main content

Hello, 

I am trying to create a Zap that exports to a PDF all activity entries on a given Clio matter each time a new activity entry is made. Does anyone know a way to do this? I’ve tried creating a custom action, but all the tests result in: 

Error: Failed to retrieve activities: API response indicates an error at getActivitiesForMatterAndExportToPDF (file:///tmp/working/main.mjs:34:15) at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5) at async __WRITE_OUTPUT__ (file:///tmp/working/main.mjs:66:20)

Hi @JLO,

You can troubleshoot using Zapier with the Clio API, ensure you're using the correct API key, and that your API call is formatted correctly with all required parameters. If using a custom Zapier action, verify that it's set up to handle Clio's data correctly. Check any error messages, such as the “getActivitiesForMatterAndExportToPDF” function, to ensure it's retrieving and processing data as expected. Reviewing Clio's API documentation can provide further guidance, and if issues persist, consider contacting Clio's support for additional help

Hi @JLO,

You can troubleshoot using Zapier with the Clio API, ensure you're using the correct API key, and that your API call is formatted correctly with all required parameters. If using a custom Zapier action, verify that it's set up to handle Clio's data correctly. Check any error messages, such as the “getActivitiesForMatterAndExportToPDF” function, to ensure it's retrieving and processing data as expected. Reviewing Clio's API documentation can provide further guidance, and if issues persist, consider contacting Clio's support for additional help

Hi Jammer, 

Thank you for your response. I think the problem is that I don’t understand what an API is or how to get the necessary information or privide it to Zapier. Maybe this is just over my head at this point. (I’ve been using the AI.)

Hi there @JLO,

Just to be upfront, the Custom Actions Beta is considered an advanced feature, so our support for it may be more limited. Not because we don't want to help, but because APIs can be tricky to troubleshoot since we can't see what's happening on the other side. Every API that you send a request to is going to have slightly different structures that are required.

This makes it hard for us to know why the request may be receiving errors or not working as expected, beyond taking a general look at what's showing in Zapier.

Here are some helpful resources:

Hopefully, this helps.