Best answer

Cannot map the right fields from an input form to the right fields in Google Sheets

• 21 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi guys! :)

Im abit new to Zapier and really hope there is a solution to my problem!

I am collecting leads through GoToWebinar with various fields where people fill out “First name” “Last name” “Email” “Organization” “Country” “State” etc etc, however I encounter problems when I want to collect that in Google Sheets, and (I hope, crossing fingers) theres a solution to the problem.

The various inputs from Gotowebinar is being put into the “First name”-column A3 in Google sheets, where I want it to be spread out to different columns such as “Last Name”-B3, “Organization”-C3, “Email”-E3 etc, so not all information is placed in the “First name” column. 

My intention would be that it would create a new row everytime a person signs up through the form, and then the fields very filled out accordingly, however I cannot seem to find out how to map it properly when setting up the zap, and when testing the trigger puts everything in first name.

Help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance :)

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 21 February 2024, 16:48

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ah1810 

Follow this guide: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276985101-Work-with-Google-Sheets-in-Zaps

You need to format your GSheet a specific way.

Then click [Refresh Fields] in the Zap step to reconfigure the mappings.

Userlevel 1

Dear Troy, sorry for the delayed response - thank you so much!! It worked :) 

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

Actually when im testing again now, the data doesnt come into the gogle sheet at all anymore. The only change i’ve made is I made two columns (L and M) all to the right of the sheet with X-look up function in them (For example, Column M assigns the respective sales person, based upon what value is in the Country-column J). 

Could this be the reason why Zapier doesnt send the data into the sheet? Or what could be the problem?

I have refreshed all fields and recreated the Zap with mapping the right input fields to the right columns in Google Sheets. Really hope there is a solution as this sheet would mean alot for me to work!

Thank you so much in advance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ah1810 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your steps are outlined and configured.

When you test, check the row/ID returned to help you troubleshoot.

Rows with formulas are considered populated rows and the Zap only adds data below those rows.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone , thanks for the answer!

I took some screenshots of how I configured it, and I can see fine that I can map it to Google Sheets (the fields come up when I map the GotoWebinar with the right columns in Google Sheets).

However, I made that Google sheet formula until row 1000, and as you said the information comes up again from 1001, 1002 so I assume its because Zapier adds the data below that! Then my next question is, is it not possible to save the data in a row that is marked as “Populated”? Or would it make more sense to just have a “clean”/non-populated rows where Zapier puts in the data, and then Google Sheets take the information from that tab into another tab (where the X-look up function is present). I tried to make an example on the two screenshots here below, where Sheet 1 would be the non-populated sheet with data from the Zap, and Sheet 2 would pull the data from Sheet 1 and format it (and hopefully pass it on to CRM system) 

Sheet 1 (no x-look up function)
Sheet 2 (with x-look up function)

Maybe im overcomplicating things...

The ideal Zap for me would be: GotoWebinar fields data goes into right fields in Google Sheet (or another database) → XLOOK UP for data curation/consistency → auto-import into CRM

Thank you so much in advance!

-Andreas

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ah1810 

You can add formulas in the GSheet Zap step:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ah1810 

Another approach is to use Airtable instead of GSheets, which has a Formula field type.