Skip to main content
Question

Cannot Insert Line Break in String

• 8 June 2024
  • 2 replies

I cannot seem to get line breaks in a field that is a “text” field in zapier, but a “paragraph” field in the system where I am sending the data. I have tried all of these to no avail:

1. Press enter
  2. <br>
  3. \n
  4. \r
  5. l:newline:] - matches newline (\n) characters
  6. l:return] - matches carriage-return (\r) characters

I also confirmed the field where I am trying to send this specific information accepts paragraph format. Any help is greatly appreciated. This should be easier than this!

All I am trying to accomplish is sending form information to my project management system so clients can create their own support request via form.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LeadLever 

Provide more context by posting screenshots showing the field type/description in EDIT mode in the Zap step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @LeadLever! 🎉 

It’s been a couple of days since you first posted here, were you able to figure out a solution to getting the line breaks to appear in the text field?

If not, would you mind sharing a screenshot showing the specific action and field in the Zap that isn’t rendering the line breaks as expected? Asking as us folks in the Community here don’t have access to your Zaps so this will be super helpful to us in identifying what might be causing the line breaks to be ignored. Please remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

That said, I wanted to suggest pressing the Shift+Return keys a couple of times to see if that forces the line break in the text field - I remember needing to do that in the past (can’t remember which app it was 🤔) to force the line break to rendered. 

Keen to help get this sorted so please let us know how you’re getting on with this!