Question

Can't see "File (exists but is not shown)" option when moving Google Docs

• 23 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi! 

I am trying to move one google doc that it saved in a folder to another google drive folder. It seems like I have it set up correctly but the issue I am running in to is that in the file section I don’t see the option of (1. File (exists but is not shown)). From what I understand I need to select that option so that the zap will pick up every single document and move it to the correct folder. Help please! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @alexandreaak 

For us to have full context, please post screenshot with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for reaching out. Here is how my zap is created…

I’m trying to see what I should have in the file field in order to be able to grab any document that comes into my google drive folder so it can create a copy in a different google drive folder.  I don’t want it set up for just a specific document.

Thank you for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@alexandreaak 

The File field expects a File ID, rather than a file url or a file object.

@Troy Tessalone Ok, but what would the ID be if the files are different each time? Wouldn’t each document have an individual ID?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@alexandreaak 

Yes, you would map the ID variable from Step 1.

@Troy Tessalone How would I find the variable ID option? In the dropdown to select the file name the variable option is not listed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@alexandreaak 

Make sure to test your Zap trigger step.

The ID variable will have a label of “ID”.

You can also search by ‘id’ to narrow the results.

@Troy Tessalone I’m looking up ID and when I select this one that I’m pointing to with the arrow, it doesn’t pull the document each time. Its the same exact doc with that ID number each time… not different depending on the document.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@alexandreaak 

Map the ID variable from Step 1.

Then turn your Zap ON and test.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot, which ID is being used.

https://zapier.com/app/history/