Best answer

Can't find google calender event using google cal ID

• 17 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi!

Goal: editing clickup task will update existing google calendar event.

1) the trigger is adding a tag in the clickup task
2) find existing event in google calendar
3) update event in google cal

problem is with 2 - Zapier cant find the existing event in google cal

I have a working zap that goes the other way around - ie, create an event in google cal, creates a task in clickup.  This works great.  I can also import the google event ID into a custom field in clickup when the task is created  (looks like this 18csdp525c7dug4blsg469sjv3).  I assume this is the ID that zapier will use to find the google event.

I just cant workout how to add this google id in a way that zapier can use it to find the existing event for step 2.

Any help would be much appreciated!! 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 17 August 2022, 11:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @jamesmac!

I think I have some good news here 🤞🏻

If you’re either changing the time or putting information in a previously empty field (eg adding a description or invitees when there weren’t any before), then if you can add the calendar ID to clickup as a custom field, you don’t need the find event step. You can use that ID as the custom field in the Update event step, which tells the Zap which event to update. 

BUT if you need to find the existing details of the event (eg if you want to add attendees, or to add information to an existing description) then you will need the find step. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to search for an event using the event ID. The google calendar search isn’t very robust so it can be tricky to find events that don’t have a unique name. There are some things that you can do to improve the accuracy of your search, as described in this article (nb this isn’t an official Zapier resource, it’s one I found when looking for tips on search terms). 

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

wow, this is great.  I’m going to have a play and see if I can get a bit further!  Thanks