Skip to main content

Hi!

I try to use this ZAP:

I get an error any time I insert a new row in my Google sheet:

Because the required item_id is a Webflow variable and I can’t create the variable in a Google sheet. 

I can’t be so difficult to update a Webflow collection everytime the Google sheet is updated or a new row is created. It’s driving me crazy.

Please, can anybody help?

Hi @Sebastian S 

For us to have context about the error, post screenshots with how the Zap steps are configured in EDIT mode.

Hi Troy,

let me know if you need to see more steps:

Thanks for your help,
Sebastian

@Sebastian S 

Zap trigger: GSheets - New or Updated Spreadsheet Row

Description: Triggered when a new row is added or modified in a spreadsheet.

That means ANY NEW rows will trigger the Zap to run AND ANY UPDATED rows will trigger the Zap to run.

You probably want to add a Filter as Step 2 in the Zap to make sure the row cell values meet the desired conditions. (e.g. Item ID exists)

Hi Troy,

I don’t think that this could help. The problem is: 

• I add a new row to a Google Sheet 
  • Webflow Collection will be updated with that row
  • I try to change a value in the same row in the Google Sheet
  • Webflow Collection Item can’t be updated, because the Google Sheet doesn’t know the item ID (but Webflow requires the ID for an update)

So, I need the data to be synced between Webflow and the Google Sheet, but I have no idea how this could work.

@Sebastian S

Perhaps you should be first creating the Webflow Live Item in a Zap, then update the GSheet Row with the Webflow Live Item ID to then be used in Path that updates the Live Item.

To update Webflow Live Items, you need to pass in the Webflow Live Item ID.

Try using Paths in the Zap: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917

• Create Live Item
    • Item ID does not exist
  • Update Live Item
    • Item ID exists

Hi Troy,

I could create the path and I was able to create the API Token, but I have no idea how to add Zapier Webhook to get the item id’s. 

Can you help once more?

Thanks and best,
Sebastian

@Sebastian S 

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: GSheets - New/Updated Row
  2. Action: Path A
    1. Filter: Item ID does not exist
      1. Used to create new Live Items
  3. Action: Webflow - Create Live Item
    1. That will return the Item ID.
  4. Action: GSheets - Update Row
    1. Map the Row/ID variable from Step 1
    2. Update the row with the returned Webflow Item ID
      1. This can then be used for Path B
  5. Action: Path B
    1. Filter: Item ID exists
      1. Used for updates to existing Live Items
  6. Action: Webflow - Update Live Item

Hi Troy,

Thank you so much for guiding me through the process. I get a warning in your step 4 and my Google sheet is not updated with the item id:

Do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks and best,
Sebastian

@Sebastian S 

The Step 5 warning is indicating you may be creating an infinite loop in your Zap.

That if the GSheet worksheet being updated in Step 5 is the same being used as the Zap trigger Step 1, then it’s possible the Zap will trigger again after Step 5 processes.

Info about Zaps being stuck in a loop: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496232045453-Zap-is-stuck-in-a-loop

@Troy Tessalone I used it in the way you told me 😀 Maybe I have done something wrong. Step 5 also doesn’t create an update on my Google sheet. I can post more screenshots if that could be helpful.

@Sebastian S 

For us to have context about the error, post screenshots with how the Zap steps are configured in EDIT mode.

Hi Troy,

I still can’t get the ZAP working. It would be so great if you could help me (and lots of other people who use Webflow) by finding a solution for this problem. Here are the steps for Path A:

Hi @Sebastian S,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I can see one issue with your setup and it looks like you’re using the incorrect data in the “Row” field of the “Update Spreadsheet Row” step. The “Row” field looks for the Row ID. You can find the Row ID by using a “Lookup Spreadsheet Row” and that step is mandatory for updating rows in Google Sheets.

You can learn more about that here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495978803213-Find-and-update-spreadsheet-rows-in-Google-Sheets-on-Zapier#h_01HVH2REETM290MWPQQ38H4Z51

Hopefully, this helps.

@ken.a I appreciate your help! I updated the Row field with the Row ID and the Zap works except for Update Spreadsheet Row:

The Google Sheet wasn’t updated with new Item ID created in Webflow (Step 4). 

And I have still the warning for a possible Zap loop.

Hi @Sebastian S,

I think you need to map the fields of your “Update Spreadsheet Row” with the data coming from the “Create Live Item” action (4th step). Regarding the possible Zap loop notification, you need to change your trigger to “New Spreadsheet Row” to avoid Zap loops. More about Zap loops here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496232045453-Zap-is-stuck-in-a-loop

Hopefully, this helps.