Question

BOX Find a File Step Not Creating a Shared_Link

• 16 August 2022
  • 6 replies

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Previously, my BOX Find a File step would generate shared links, most importantly a Shared Link Download URL. This was a critical sub-step, as I’d then use that Shared Link Download URL to upload the file to Uploadcare (which fed later steps).

I’m not sure what changed but the creation of this link began getting very inconsistent and has now stopped working entirely. It constantly says:

shared_link: null

And then my Uploadcare step fails, bc there is no link to upload (its looking for Shared Link Download URL which used to get created but no longer does).

Am I missing something? Do I need to modify a config either within Zapier or Box?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @TheBengineer 

Welcome to the community!

Good question, Are you getting any of the files into Box using another Zap by any chance?

In our Upload File to Box action we have a setting available to control whether a share url should be created (and what access should be required for that) if this is set to "none" then that could explain any of those files having this issue.

Otherwise I am wondering if it could be to do with how soon after files are added to Box this Zap runs (perhaps Shared Links aren't immediately available) if the files which fail are very newly added to Box that would be a good indicator that this is the issue.

That said, I do see that we have an open bug report on our Box app related to share links not always being available but before I add you as being impacted by that bug I would love to eliminate any other causes!

I will keep an eye out for your reply!

Hi Paul. Thanks for helping out.

Good question, Are you getting any of the files into Box using another Zap by any chance?
No. I am using Media Encoder to place a file directly into Box. 

In our Upload File to Box action we have a setting available to control whether a share url should be created (and what access should be required for that) if this is set to "none" then that could explain any of those files having this issue.
I’m trying to do this now - having Media Encoder push the video to on Box folder, then use Upload File to Box to move it to another folder. It does not appear to be working. It is creating a txt link, which is bizarre.

Otherwise I am wondering if it could be to do with how soon after files are added to Box this Zap runs (perhaps Shared Links aren't immediately available) if the files which fail are very newly added to Box that would be a good indicator that this is the issue.
I am trying to do this 2-5 mins after the file hits the BOX. How long should I back this off to test? 

That said, I do see that we have an open bug report on our Box app related to share links not always being available but before I add you as being impacted by that bug I would love to eliminate any other causes!
I do believe I’m being impacted by this bug. Is there any other work around?

-Ben

Is there another service that consistently creates these links? Does Dropbox? Or will I run into the same problem?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @TheBengineer ,

Thank you for sending those details 🙂

Could you please show us what you have mapped in the step to Upload File to Box? And is this happening before the action to Find File?

Some apps create text files if we map text into an Attachments field, as you can see here: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps
I’m wondering if this can be the cause!

In regards to the time span between the creation of the file and the find action, 2 to 5 minutes should be enough for the app to send us the links, so increasing it will likely not change this behaviour.

Hi was this bug fixed?

If not, how long of a delay should I incorporate to ensure that this will work reliably?

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.  We stopped using the integration for about a year.  When we started to use it again this happened to us too.  It makes the integration worthless and it does not seem that Zapier is working on it.