Best answer

Bigcommerce works when I test it but it won't trigger by itself

• 15 August 2023
  • 17 replies

I have set up a Zap to trigger when there is a new order. When I test the connection it’s all good.

When I test it to get new orders, it gets them.

When I run the Zap and a new order comes in, nothing happens.

It’s like the zap is not checking for new orders, I have to run a test to get them.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 15 August 2023, 10:06

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Beebley,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like this is a known bug with the BigCommerce integration where the “Order Created” trigger is not triggering for new orders. Our team is aware of the issue and we're working with BigCommerce on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected member. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track and prioritize fixes
  • Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of members affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

In the meantime, there’s a workaround that uses a combination of Webhooks by Zapier - Catch Hook and API Request (Beta) in BigCommerce which are advanced functionality and our support is limited for those. I suggest reaching out to our directory of certified Zapier Experts to help you setup the workaround.

You can reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

@ken.a can you please add me as another affected member to be notified when this is fixed? Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @TDS,

I have added you as another affected member to the open bug report. While we can’t provide an exact timeframe for the bug’s fix. We will let you know via email once it is.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1

@ken.a could you please message me directly to let me know who at Zapier is working with BigCommerce? Having checked with BigCommerce Product Support Engineers directly they’re not aware of anyone working on this? They’re not aware of the issue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

I reached out to BigCommerce Support again to request they test the Zapier integration as I have had this same issue ongoing since June. Zapier are largely unwilling to fix this until more people complain which is really poor service for paying customers.

Here’s BigCommerce’s investigation:

“The reason that the manual test works while the automation does not is due to the difference between the processes.  When you click on the Test button in Zapier, Zapier sends an API request to fetch a group of orders' details directly.  When setting up the details for automation, Zapier uses the API token to create a BigCommerce webhook that triggers when a new order is created.  When this webhook fires, information is sent to Zapier where Zapier then runs through the processes setup in the 'Zap.'  I am able to see the 'order created' webhook successfully sending to Zapier in our internal logs however it does not appear Zapier correctly respond to the webhook.  This means that everything is working as expected on our end and the breakdown occurs when Zapier fails to recognize the successful webhook event.  In this situation we are unable to troubleshoot the issue within Zapier and it is something their engineering team would need to investigate and resolve.”

@ken.a / Zapier – please look into the above as the Premium and paid for solution does not currently work. i.e. you advertise “Zapier will watch for new BigCommerce orders and add a new row to your Google Sheet for each one it detects. Simply set it up and from then on you'll have an automated record-keeping system working for you 24/7!”

@ken.a I believe I’m having the same issue.  Is there a resolution?  If not, can you add me to the affected member list?

Userlevel 1

@scott.v - I gave up having spent weeks on it. BigCommerce say it’s Zapier’s issue...and Zapier say it’s down to BigCommerce.

According to BigCommerce “everything BigCommerce needs to do is happening correctly (Zapier able to use the BigCommerce API, BigCommerce's Order Created webhook fires to Zapier) however the Zapier system does not react to that webhook event to capture the order's details.”

So it looks very much like it’s Zapier’s issue, but they’re unwilling to resolve it.

Another workaround is to use email as the trigger. Send your order email notifications to a new Gmail account then use the ‘New Email in Gmail’ as the trigger.

It’ll look like this:

You’ll need this too:

The solution works, but it’ll take some time to build...and you’ll use 3 times as many tasks to get the same result as what the BigCommerce Premium app is meant to do - and they won’t give any discount...I’ve already asked!

Under these circumstances I think this could be a cheaper solution... https://www.pabbly.com/connect/integrations/bigcommerce/

@Chris_R Thanks for the detailed help.  I’m exploring a couple of workarounds - this definitely helps!

@scott.v - I gave up having spent weeks on it. BigCommerce say it’s Zapier’s issue...and Zapier say it’s down to BigCommerce.

According to BigCommerce “everything BigCommerce needs to do is happening correctly (Zapier able to use the BigCommerce API, BigCommerce's Order Created webhook fires to Zapier) however the Zapier system does not react to that webhook event to capture the order's details.”

So it looks very much like it’s Zapier’s issue, but they’re unwilling to resolve it.

Another workaround is to use email as the trigger. Send your order email notifications to a new Gmail account then use the ‘New Email in Gmail’ as the trigger.

It’ll look like this:

You’ll need this too:

The solution works, but it’ll take some time to build...and you’ll use 3 times as many tasks to get the same result as what the BigCommerce Premium app is meant to do - and they won’t give any discount...I’ve already asked!

Under these circumstances I think this could be a cheaper solution... https://www.pabbly.com/connect/integrations/bigcommerce/

I’ve tried this workaround, but keep getting a 403 Forbidden response even though the API connects successfully. Am I missing something?

Userlevel 1

@SnprSlick - Could be the API OAuth scope permissions, I’d create a new API in BigCommerce and select ‘modify’ on all the ones you’ll need for the API request.

Check the spelling too on the Query String Parameters:

consignments,consignments.line_items

application/json

Hopefully that’ll work if not you may need to reach out to BigCommerce.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the info @Chris_R. This isn’t very encouraging news as I just started testing and building out the Zap (BC orders > Google Sheet) today in our free account and as with the OP, the test works fine. I’ll be meeting with my client (who is on a paid Zapier plan) later this week to build out the Zap with her within their company account. They are moving from WooCommerce to BC and the Woo Zap works fine so going to re-create that with BC. 

Did you happen to switch to that Pabbly App? 

Userlevel 1

Hi @ec_206, after giving up on Zapier and the email trigger work around I built everything I need in Pabbly. Their lifetime single payment offer is a no brainer. The BigCommerce webhook works without issue and sending all my orders to Sheets > Trello > Shiptheory > Docs > Label Printers etc. it’s now a central part of the business. Zapier is more user friendly, but Pabbly does the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost.

Userlevel 1

Appreciate it @Chris_R. I also found a bunch of great Pabbly YouTube training videos which are very helpful going over step-by-step in detail. I couldn’t find any detailed documentation on the BC integration in Zapier. I’m going to setup an account in Pabbly today. Thanks again!

Another one here ditching Zapier for Pabbly, seeing as the BC integration doesn’t work as advertised.

I have the same problem where zaps work fine when I test them in the editor, but they do not work correctly when new orders come into my BigCommerce store.

I have 9 days to go left in my trial and then I will lose access to “Premium” features like the BigCommerce integration. It seems like this is an ongoing he-said-she-said problem.

I don’t see how this can be a “premium feature” when it doesn’t work. If Zapier’s position is that this is in fact a BC problem, I don’t see why you would keep offering the functionality at all, let alone as a premium feature.

Same issue for me here.  Spent a lot of time creating the initial Zaps to get orders and then it would not work.  Support channel sends me here and gives me the scoop on using the Webhook method and now I am running in circles trying to get what I need and get it to work.  So far, I do not see ANYONE in this thread who really got it to work correctly in Zapier (I could be wrong) which is really discouraging.  Ideas?  Is Pabbly the best solution or can it actually be done in Zappier by a pseudo novice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Chris_R@scott.v@SnprSlick@ec_206@Matthew L@Mike P and @Pjones 👋

Apologies for us missing your messages here previously! Really sorry about all the hassle and frustration that bug has caused everyone here, not to mention being passed around between different support teams. That’s not a great experience!

I know some of you have moved over to another service but I’ve ensured you’re all on the list of folks that are being affected by this issue so it helps to further increase the priority rating of the issue. We’ll notify everyone here as soon as BigCommerce’s developers have fixed the Order Created trigger in their Zap. Our engineers will always assist the integration owners as much as we can from our side but ultimately it will be down to BigCommerce’s own developers to resolve the issue with their app on Zapier.

I was able to find another workaround reported which didn’t involve setting up a Webhook. I’ll share the details of that here in case it’s helpful:

Creating the Zaps from scratch so that they showed "Empty" instead of "Null" helped get the broken ones to trigger again:

4e9e898df60de7d881c796ff4cb68b40.png

As a workaround, it appears that not setting the filters up in the trigger and adding a separate filter step to have the Zap only continue for specific Channel and Status IDs should help.

Hope that helps. I’ll keep an eye out for any updates on this end and will let you all know if there’s any developments on the situation. Thanks for everyone’s continued patience in the meantime. 🙂