Best answer

Automating "Add New Customer" to QBO - "Customer Type" field giving me issues

• 17 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all,

I created a zap to Action “Add a new customer” into QBO from a “Add a row” Trigger in Smartsheets. 

When setting up the Zap Action, the field that programs the “Customer Type” in QBO gives me the drop down selections for the customer types in the QBO drop down list. If I select any of these, the value given for any New Customer additions will be whatever I selected, rather then dynamic to the original smartsheet’s entry for this field. 

When I select the “Custom” option for this field, and then choose the dynamic data cell, it gives me this error.

Is there a way to address this? 

Is there a workaround or something I am doing wrong? 

I also tried also to set up a custom field in QBO that was labeled “Customer Type” but was a text field and not a drop down, but that didn’t show up in the Zap as a field I could program. 

any help appreciated

thanks!

icon

Best answer by MichelleS 19 September 2022, 17:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey, @DBS Analytics ! 

You’re right to try to use a custom value here. The issue that you’re running into is that Quickbooks expects the ID of the customer type, rather than the name.

https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-zaps

Since there isn’t a search action to find customer types in QBO, what you can do is use a lookup table in the Formatter app to enter the customer type names and IDs, then Formatter will output the ID whenever it sees the corresponding name.

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps

This Formatter step will come before your QBO action, so you’ll be able to map the output of the lookup table as a custom value in the Customer Type field.