Best answer

Asana Trigger "Updated Task in Project" Stopped Working

• 26 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello,

We've been using a Zap that monitors tasks in Asana through the "Updated Task in Project” trigger and emails users based on filtering the contents of some custom task fields. However, today our Zap has stopped working and the mentioned trigger displayed a "Legacy” informative label. 

I have tried to recreate my Zap using the new Trigger named "Updated Task in Asana” but it doesn't seem to be working as expected. If trying to create any filters based on the received data the Zap doesn't proceed.

It might be worth mentioning that our tasks have a good number of columns (30+). Previously each column value was passed to Zapier in a different field which made it easier for filtering. Now all values are merged and separated by commas into a field named "Task Custom Fields Display Value”. But we've been unable to get filters working on it so far.

I have tested different filters and tried to completely recreate the Zap but with no luck so far. The Zap doesn't proceed even if checking if an existing field exists. 

We'd appreciate any assistance we can get with this matter.

Thanks
Murilo

icon

Best answer by SamB 27 February 2024, 10:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @MPinheiro, welcome to the Community! 🎉

Ah, it looks like those values are coming over as line items instead of separate fields now. We have a guide that explains how to separate the field names and their values into their individual fields which you might want to check out here:

That said, I can’t see the full list of what’s contained in the select Task Custom Fields Display Value field, but the words Approve or Deny don’t appear to be contained in that field:
e1c614aa7e78f5bda0e7783c042763db.png

So if those words aren’t present in the field then the Zap is correct in saying that it would not have continued.

In which case it might be worth pulling in a new test record in the Updated Task trigger step, specifically one that has either the word Approve or Deny present in that field, to double-check that the path rules will allow the correct paths to run if it finds a match.

Can you give the above a try and let us know how you get on?

Hi @SamB thank you! 😄

Sorry I forgot to mention a few more details: I had tried to pull a new test record unsucessfully as well. And I had double checked the text output did include the "approve” word. Perhaps my filter wasn't working because it was a very long string?

In any case, using the formatting + JS code to parse the keys and values has worked very well and fixed the issue! I just had to adjust the code a bit to treat exceptions because in my data there were many empty responses. So I've added an "empty” text as the obj value whenever no text was found after the delimiter.

Here's how I've accomplished it in case it can help anyone in the future:

const text = inputData.text.split('|||');
let obj = {};
text.forEach((element) => {
const [name, value] = element.split('***');
const trimmedName = name.trim(); // Trim to remove any leading/trailing spaces
if (value !== undefined) {
obj[trimmedName] = value.trim();
} else {
// If no value is present after the delimiter, set value to "empty"
obj[trimmedName] = 'empty';
}
});
output = [obj];

Thank you for the quick response and for the useful article reference. That's appreciated! 🤓

Best Regards,
Murilo

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the update, @MPinheiro. That is awesome news! 🎉

I’m so pleased you were able to get this sorted, great work! 🙌 And thank you so much for sharing details of the solution you implemented. I’m certain it’ll be very useful to others here in the Community.

If there’s anything else we can help with in future do let us know. Until then, happy Zapping! 😁⚡