Question

Asana Custom Fields with enum values in one dataset

• 20 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey together, 

I want to setup a zap to create an airtable record based on a created asana task.

Here the dataflow.

As I do not want to create an empty row in airtable in regards of the instant trigger I added a delay of 2min that I was able to fill out the asana tasks and said in step 3 find task by ID. In step 4 i wanted to add the data from step 3 but the two drop downs values from my asana task are standing in the same data record (Custom Fields Enum Value Name “Value1, Value2”. In the data of step 1 they are split as separate data records as it should be in my opinion. But If I use them they are empty cause they are empty when the first trigger is shot cause after I entered the task name and want to fill out the rest of the tasks fields.

Any Idea?

Cheers 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @CarstenM, welcome to the Community! 🙂

Hmm, could it be that Asana isn’t able to see the updated details in the custom fields yet? If you test step 3 of the Zap again now is it able to find the values that were added?

If so, you might need to increase the delay time in order to give Asana more time to update things on their end.

Hopefully that’ll do the trick here. Please keep us in the loop on how that goes!

Hey @SamB :-)

The Values are in but when i try to select them i got those double pairs… see below...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @CarstenM! Ah, I see - thanks for sharing that screenshot!

It looks like you're running into a know bug with the Find Task by ID Asana search where multiple custom values return as an array. I've added you as an affected user to the bug report! While I don't have an ETA on a fix, this is the best way to stay informed as it ensures you'll be emailed at that time! 

We'll also be sure to keep this thread updated with any news. Sorry to not have better news but we appreciate you raising this in community!

That being said I wonder, if we can use Formatter by Zapier (it would in between the current 3rd and 4th steps) to split these items into individual values? So it might look like this:

and hopefully output like this:

A little more on that here.

Do you think that could work? Keep us posted! 🙂