Question

ActiveCampaign error: “Contact id or email is required”

• 14 April 2023
  • 2 replies

I am trying to have Zapier bring over any contacts that we create in Insightly over to ActiveCampaign. We have a Zap set up that is supposed to create or update a contact in ActiveCampaign when a new contact is added in Insightly. 

When I tested this, I created a fake contact in Insightly to see what would happen. I made sure to give it a test email as well. Upon creating the contact, I received an error message from Zapier saying that “Contact id or email is required”. This didn’t make sense because I had an email in place already.

I created a ticket for the Zapier Support team explaining this issue and they said to add and email to the Zap Editor. 

I wanted to know which email should be placed here and what exactly is this email field going to do once we add an email address in? 

Lastly, I want to make sure that if I do add an email address in here if this will fix the issue we are having when creating a contact in Insightly and having it be brought over to ActiveCampaign?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @WMack 

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry you’re having trouble with your Zap.

I can see that the Support Team replied to your ticket, and you’re in conversation with them. Here’s what my colleague replied:

When setting up this action for ActiveCampaign, the email refers to the contact you want to create. Looking into the Zap today, I see you have mapped it to the trigger info, which is the ideal option. When you map the email field to this action, any new record provided from the Insightly trigger will be created or updated in ActiveCampaign.  

Based on this Zap, you have correctly mapped each field. I have noticed that the Insightly connection has expired.

This could be due to any recent password changes or internal expiration from Insightly. If the connection between an app and Zapier expires, you can reconnect the same account. To reconnect an app account:

• Go to My Apps.
  • Click the app with the account to reconnect.
  • In the account connection that you want to reconnect, click the three dots iconNav: more horiz dropdown menu, then click Reconnect.
  • A new browser tab or window will open. Follow the instructions to reconnect your app account.

The app account will be reconnected for all Zaps that use it.

In this case, it will be best to keep the conversation going over with them. The Support Team can dig into the error logs of your Zap with you to look for the cause of the errors. 

Hi @Brem

Thank you! I will respond to the Support Team on the email thread.