Using loops to update Salesforce records

• 14 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Looping by Zapier rocks -- what did I do before I discovered Looping by Zapier?

I typically would create an Airtable base with a field called ‘Loop Status’. I’d then build a Zap workflow which started with a hook and ended with a hook that pointed back to the first hook. Then I’d trigger the loop via a call from Postman.

Convoluted.

Now, I build Zaps using Looping by Zapier and smile.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@donovanwatts would love to hear more about what this workflow looks like and what your use case is so your genius can be shared with other members!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @donovanwatts 

Related help topic for creating a looping Zap (different than using Looping app in a Zap).

NOTE: The mentioned GSheet steps could be switched out with Airtable steps:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Troy Tessalone that’s exactly how I construct my loops!

Well, now that I’ve discovered the looping zap app, I tend to default to that but still, i’ve got a number of other zaps that use the steps you’ve outlined.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For my use case on this particular looping Zap, it goes like this.

We have a field in the Salesforce Contact record called Slack UUID which we populate for use in other Zaps.

I used to monitor a report in Salesforce that showed me which contacts were missing the Slack UUID. I would then add it. Tedious.

So, I had our Salesforce Admin create a workflow whereby the Contact records for anyone whose Slack UUID is missing is sent via an Outbound Message to a webhook. My Zap is triggered when this message arrives from Salesforce and kicks into a loop.

The Contact record IDs are separated by a comma so I use that as the delimiter. Inside the loop, we find the Contact record in Salesforce, then find the user in Slack via their email address, then update the Contact record in Salesforce with their Slack UUID.

Tip: I embed the OB Message ID in my trigger name so it’s easy to lookup in Salesforce should I ever need to track it down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this, @donovanwatts! 🎉