GUIDE: Use Calendly API to Create Single-Use Scheduling Links

• 3 December 2021
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

GUIDE: Use Calendly API to Create Single-Use Scheduling Links

Tips and Inspiration contributed by: Troy Tessalone - Automation Ace

RESOURCES

Calendly API Personal Access Token: https://developer.calendly.com/how-to-authenticate-with-personal-access-tokens

Calendly API Endpoint: https://calendly.stoplight.io/docs/api-docs/b3A6MzQyNTM0OQ-create-single-use-scheduling-link

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

CONFIG

1. Use the Webhooks app
  2. Action Event: Custom Request
  3. Method: POST
  4. In the Data field, replace the [uuid] with your Calendly Event UUID
    1. NOTE: You can find this by testing the Calendly Zap trigger for Invitee Created
  5. In the Authorization Header, replace with your [PERSONAL ACCESS TOKEN]

19 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey there! 

I’m trying to use this to achieve a zapier integration that takes spreadsheet rows of availability (i.e., the hours that a volunteer is available) and turns those into individual calendly scheduling links. I believe this zap would accomplish part of that by creating a unique link. However, I am currently running into the “The app returned “Bad Request.”” error.

Do you see anything wrong with this zap? Should I be filling something into Basic Auth – and if so, how should I, given I log into Calendly through Google and don’t have a site password?

Final question – is there a way to post the availabilities to the newly created calendly link, without having to do so manually? 

Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Aanandh Chan 

Make sure there is a comma at the end of the owner row.

It doesn’t appear the Calendly API supports adjusting the availability for events.

Reference the Calendly API docs: https://developer.calendly.com/api-docs/b3A6MzQyNTM0OQ-create-single-use-scheduling-link

Userlevel 1

Got it. Thank you, Troy!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks for this, Troy. I’ll be putting it to use straight away.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Troy Tessalone every time I run this it generates the same booking link. I am expecting the link to be unique each time since it’s single use. Am I missing something or misunderstanding how single use link works?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I tried a different Event type to troubleshoot and now it’s working as expected. I will chalk this up to operator error.

I’ve come up with a fun workflow for this that I’ll be sharing soon. Thanks @Troy Tessalone for the inspiration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for keeping us updated, @donovanwatts! Excited to hear more about your new workflow! 🤗

Is this no longer applicable?

I cannot find custom request as action event anymore in Webhooks by Zapier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SooperFit 

Webhook app Custom Request action is still available.

I tried a different Event type to troubleshoot and now it’s working as expected. I will chalk this up to operator error.

I’ve come up with a fun workflow for this that I’ll be sharing soon. Thanks @Troy Tessalone for the inspiration.

Hi there, may you share what do edit for it to share unique one time booking link? Wish to learn from you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @eugenelawys i’d be happy to try to help you. Is there a particular part that you are struggling with? Let’s start there. For instance, have you successfully identified your Calendly API key? If there is any part of Troy’s instructions that are a stumbling block for you, let us know.

Userlevel 2
Badge

One year later, still super helpful. Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

The only thing that bothers is that the one-time links have a default expiration of 90 days. 

It seems that there is no way to currently alter that.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, unfortunately, there is no chance to create multiple one-time links. 
Can it always only be 1 for max_event_count?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

You can run the same Zap action multiple times with the Looping app:

Calendly API endpoint docs: https://developer.calendly.com/api-docs/4b8195084e287-create-single-use-scheduling-link

Userlevel 2
Badge

The looping is not working, because there will be unified steps afterwards.
Just creating these links is not enough, but they have to be sent out in a bundle as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

You’d likely need to use 1 Code step then which can be configured to create multiple links.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone thanks for the continuous updates. I’ve made some progress:

1. I’ve figured out sending a POST to a new Zap catching that Webhook to isolate the unified steps afterwards. The initial Zap stops after generating the links, which makes looping a viable option now. However, only one Loop can be used in a Zap, which is not satisfying enough in my case.
  2. I used the Code step as an If/Else workaround before, but I believe it can only give one output. Are you sure that it’s possible to generate multiple links?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

The Code step can be configured with custom JavaScript to loop X times to create Calendly single-use links, then push those into an array to be output and pass on to the next steps.

Userlevel 1

I created an account here just to say thank you for this @Troy Tessalone . It worked exactly as expected! Thank you!