Best answer

Zapier Test Data Does Not Match Live Data

• 25 January 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a trigger→action zap.

The test trigger data pulls outdated data / data not tailored to my specific use case, and therefore in my action I cannot pull & use the field that I need to.

For example: my trigger test data passes the “external_contact_phone” field (as null...), but it should pass nested data (which it passes while live) like so: 

external_contact_phone:

name: “name”

phone_number: “phone_number”

In my action I cannot select “external_contact_phone.phone_number” because it is not present in my test data from my trigger.

Can I manually specify in the action somehow that I want it to pull a field that is not present in the test data?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 25 January 2023, 20:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @rwood_ryan 

I have made a video about something similar, you can check it out here

Unfortunately, Zapier cannot control what test data is pulled, this is the response from the app you are integrating. 

Another valid option would be using Webhooks, maybe it would return new data? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @rwood_ryan 

Good question.

You can manually create a variable using this approach…

In the Zap step, map a variable.

Then copy/paste that variable into a web browser search bar. that will expose something like this:

{{1234567890__records__fields__Email}}

NOTES:

1. The ID at the start is the ID from the Zap Step
  2. Double underscores indicate nesting data structures

If you know the desired structure, then you can adjust to then copy/paste the variable back into the Zap step.

Make sure to test again live and check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step.

Thanks Troy, that worked!