Best answer

Zapier Paths - Existing info as value?

• 2 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Is it possible to use data gathered in a previous step as the Value in a Path step? I’m only seeing the option to type values manually.

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 6 October 2020, 20:17

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi KeenanMock, you definitely can use data from previous steps in paths. There should be a popup under the field with the list of steps and the corresponding variables. Can you do a screenshot showing the field please?

Userlevel 1

Hey Craig. Yeah, that’s what I was expecting to see as well. Screenshot attached.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Oh I misunderstood your previous question. The reason you aren’t seeing any options is because that is a filter field. The Zapier Filter app filter as well as the Zapier Paths filter don’t allow variables in the filter  value field. Maybe there is another way to accomplish your goal. What are you trying to filter?

Userlevel 1

Hey Craig, I was able to use a Python code step as a workaround. I needed to execute a Path if a value from one step matched a value from another step.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yes I was going to suggest a code step. Nice thinking. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Craig, I was able to use a Python code step as a workaround. I needed to execute a Path if a value from one step matched a value from another step.

@KeenanMock great idea using a Python step. That’s definitely one way to approach it if you’re familiar with how to use Python :)

For anyone who comes across this and who isn’t well-versed in code, you can also use a Formatter step (using spreadsheet-style formula) to compare two values, then output something like TRUE or FALSE depending whether there’s a match. More info can be found in our help docs (there’s a video there that covers the process around the 3-minute mark).