Best answer

Zapier only sees partial text from Slack bot

• 28 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve created a Zap (Zapier is fantastic!) that would automate our written standup (Using Standup Alice) posted on Slack to another tool.

When the bot posted the aggregated results of our written standup today I noticed, that only the first line was copied over. I wasn’t able to see the additional text in Zapier what I see in Slack. Anyone could help me with a direction?

What Zapier sees:

text: Hey, today's standup complete:coffee::coffee::coffee:

How it looks like in Slack:

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 29 January 2021, 16:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sea-you 

Check your Zap runs to see if the data point value being used in the Zap is getting truncated: https://zapier.com/app/history/

To what app is data being posted from Slack?

Please provide screenshots of how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, thanks for helping me out here!

Thanks, I checked history and both the text and raw_text fields are only containing what I posted above.

This would be a Slack → Flock integration

As you can see from my screenshots, nothing fancy here, super simple from → to setup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sea-you 

I’ve tried recreating this issue and have also gotten the same results. An interesting thing to note, was sharing the message allowed Zapier full access and I could see the entire message once shared. I was not able to fix this issue with slack but may have noticed a workaround. 

Stand Up Alice also has the ability to notify an email address (Stand Up Settings >Advanced >”Also deliver report to following emails”). You could add a Gmail address to the notifications and trigger your zap off of an email received that matches a search.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sea-you You should report this to Zapier Support to see what they have to say about this issue being a potential bug: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@Sea-you 

I’ve tried recreating this issue and have also gotten the same results. An interesting thing to note, was sharing the message allowed Zapier full access and I could see the entire message once shared. I was not able to fix this issue with slack but may have noticed a workaround. 

Stand Up Alice also has the ability to notify an email address (Stand Up Settings >Advanced >”Also deliver report to following emails”). You could add a Gmail address to the notifications and trigger your zap off of an email received that matches a search.

Thanks, yeah I’m trying to do it like this now, except I simply use the Zapiermail address. Now there is bug in StandUp Alice for me and it doesn’t save any email address under my standup :) But that’s another story.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sea-you 

I experienced that as well.. when you paste in the email address, you’ll need to hit enter after you’ve pasted it in. The email address will then be accepted and you can save the settings. 

I tried it with a Zapier address as well as a Zapier parser address first but didn’t have much luck. Not sure why… I would suggest creating a dummy gmail address to send responses to