Best answer

Zapier + MailChimp Question

• 22 February 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I'm trying to setup the following flow but am having trouble.

I have a form on my WordPress website that I want to populate my main audience in MailChimp and assign a specific tag that says which form the person filled out so that it can send the automation emails for that specific subscriber.

I've tried the Catch Hook zap but it says that the email address must already be a subscriber or else it will fail.

Any ideas?

Jennifer

icon

Best answer by Jennifer77 28 February 2020, 17:29

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Jennifer! It sounds like you're on the right track here. Could I ask which MailChimp action you're using? The Add/Update Subscriber action should work as it will add a new Subscriber if they're not already one or update a subscriber if they are already there.

Userlevel 1

Hi Danvers,

I'm using the "New Subscriber With Tag in Mailchimp" action. So are you saying I should replace this action with the action you mentioned? If so I just attempted to do that and it appears to be working, however I need a Webhook URL to link my form. How do I do that?

Jennifer

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for coming back with some more info 🙂

Can I check something? Do you mean that you were using the 'Add Subscriber to Tag' action? "New Subscriber With Tag in Mailchimp" is a trigger, so I don't think that you would be using that if you're sending information to MailChimp.

So, am I right in thinking that you need a way to get information from the form in WordPress to trigger the Zap? Have you previously been able to get this to work? If not, are you able to setup the form so that it sends a webhook when it's completed?

Userlevel 1

Hi Danvers,

I have tired several different things in Zapier, but I don't think any of it is right. I'm so confused, but I'm pretty sure I've tried all the things you are asking about.

Big picture... I need data to transfer from my WordPress form to Zapier to add a new subscriber to MailChimps with a specific tag.

I have two different forms that I need to do this for, but each will have a different tag. Is this possible?

The goal is to just use one audience in MailChimp rather than multiple audiences.

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Userlevel 1

Hey just checking back to see if you saw my last message. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Jennifer77 just stepping in for Danvers here! I believe this is the workflow you're going to need to get things right here:

1. Webhook Trigger
  2. MailChimp "Add/Update Subscriber" Action
  3. MailChimp "Add Subscriber to Tag" Action

You will need this set up for each form. Can you give that a try and let us know what issues you run into, if any? We're keeping our fingers crossed for you here!

Userlevel 1

I got it all figured out. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's great! Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Would you mind sharing what the solution was, in case other folks have the same issue in the future?

Userlevel 1

Sure! I setup a 3 step zap like this:

1. Catch hook
  2. Add/Update subscriber in MailChimp
  3. Add subscriber to tag in MailChimp

I didn't realize there was multi-step zaps, but that's because I'm pretty new to Zapier.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer!