Question

Zapier had trouble retrieving custom fields from Google Docs.

• 19 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Why is this happening?!?!

I successfully set up my zap with the custom fields filled out from my Wufoo trigger and then I went to go add a few more custom fields...when I went back to my zap, it wouldn’t work and I kept getting this error.

I’M SO FRUSTRATED!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @EVZAPS I”m sorry that you’re having trouble setting up your Zap. 

Could I ask if you’re using a custom value for the ID of the doc? Or did you select the doc from the dropdown options?

I have the same problem. I’m using a custom value for the ID of the doc (from a Search previous step). Can’t it retrieve the custom fields this way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @aclmelo2 ,

Sorry you’re running into this! Sometimes, HTML formatting will get embedded in a Google Doc in or around the template field. It's not visible in the Doc editor, but it's there and causing problems.

To fix this, you'll need to remove the formatting on the template field. Please note, this process will also remove any other formatting for the highlighted text.

Here's the process to follow:

1. Highlight the template field(s).
  2. Click on the "Format" menu.
  3. Click on the "Remove formatting" option.
  4. Go back to your Zap's Create Document from Template Action Step
  5. Click the "Refresh Fields" button near the bottom of the page.
  6. The template field will appear.

To help you with this, here's an animation showing how the process works: https://zappy.zapier.com/B85A99A3-E88F-4186-AA8C-2B67D9076FD2.gif

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, you can delete and retype the text around and including the template field, which should delete the errant HTML.

Give that a whirl and if it doesn’t do the trick, please let us know and we can dig deeper!