Best answer

Zapier app directory for Slack: can't use variables for Salesforce picklist' values

• 15 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hey there!

I’m using Zapier app for Slack, it works great. In the Slack workflow firstly I show a form for a user, and then I create a Salesforce record using “Create Record with Salesforce” step according to the values the user chose. The only thing I can’t do is to somehow allow the user to choose the Record Type for the record. The builder doesn’t allow to use variables for Record Type field. If I paste the step id to the field, it just shows the error. So I wonder is it possible to set the Record Type for the record using values which user chose on the form before?

Record Type populating

Workflow itself

icon

Best answer by christina.d 19 August 2022, 01:22

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Oleg Mastriukov!

I checked out the Slack app myself to see what you were referring to, and I see what you mean. You’re looking to use a variable from a past form step somewhere that doesn’t show this:

Is that right?

Like here, for example, where I would choose the section in Asana when creating a task:

If it doesn’t explicitly show the Insert Variable option, I don’t know of a way to do it :( 

You could contact our Support team and see if that’s a feature you can request (the ability to map fields to optional dropdowns). 

Maybe you can use a workaround where you send things to something like Google Sheets, where you can map all of the variables you need, then have a Zap trigger on new rows in that sheet and continue to Salesforce from there? Just a thought :)

Hey @nicksimard!

Thanks for your detailed explanation, that is the issue!

If it doesn’t explicitly show the Insert Variable option, I don’t know of a way to do it :( 

It’s possible to insert a variable into another field where Insert button is shown, then just select this variable in the field, and copy it. After that you can paste the variable to any other field, but then you’ll get the error like on my first screenshot.

Could you please explain this workaround with external mapping a little bit detailed? I need to add the step to my Slack workflow, right? And then do I need to create new Zap with the trigger type ‘new row’? So basically there will be two process: one on Slack side sends values to the external system, and another one on Zapier side triggers when the external system receives new values, right? 

FYI: Zapier support answered me that that’s a bug, it’s in their backlog, but they don’t know the exact fixing date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

FYI: Zapier support answered me that that’s a bug, it’s in their backlog, but they don’t know the exact fixing date.

Thanks for closing the loop on this, @Oleg Mastriukov! We really appreciate it.

I’ve gone ahead and marked this as follow-up for our team as well. Once a solution is in place, we’ll email you and update this topic as well. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Could you please explain this workaround with external mapping a little bit detailed? I need to add the step to my Slack workflow, right? And then do I need to create new Zap with the trigger type ‘new row’? So basically there will be two process: one on Slack side sends values to the external system, and another one on Zapier side triggers when the external system receives new values, right? 

Hey @Oleg Mastriukov!

Yes, correct. In the Slack workflow you would set everything up to send to one of the apps that can be used as an action (like Google Sheets, for example). Then you would build a Zap that triggers on new rows in Google Sheets, and finish up the rest of your steps (the Salesforce ones) inside of that Zap.

It may or may not be practical, depending on the specifics of your workflow, but I thought I’d mention it as one possible way to get around Slack Workflow limitations.

Hope that helps!