Best answer

Zap when my URL is visited

Hi, is it possible to send a Zap once a specific page/URL on my website has been visited to post on google sheets?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jesse 3 May 2021, 16:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @123 Zap 

You’d have to add some JavaScript code to your website page that when the page loads the script runs to trigger a Zap webhook to start the Zap.

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@123 Zap 

Google Analytics will track page visits for you.

Thank you @Troy Tessalone ! We do have Analytics set up, but it might not fit what we need. I’ll look into the JavaScript option you suggested.

So I just got some clarification on this use case. 

What we want to track is this:

1. An email is sent via Hubspot.
  2. A link, with “?utm_source” details is in the email
  3. As soon as it is clicked (or the URL is visited), we’d like to save the user’s email to google sheets.

Not sure that it’s possible to track the click in the email, so we are considering tracking the visited url and getting the email itself from the utm parameters.

I’ve looked into this some more and it looks like Hubspot might be able to track the links in the emails itself.
We’re going to test.

Is possible for Zapier to get a specific UTM parameters from a URL though? Would be good to know.

(Update, found this code to parse out UTM parameters, looks promising)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the extra clarification @123 Zap! @Troy Tessalone any ideas on next steps? I think it’s a smart move to check to see what built-in link tracking Hubspot can offer. I know there are other platforms like Reply that have actions for link clicks built into their Zapier integration. Even if Hubspot can change a property from link click, you could use that to trigger a Zap using one of these relevant actions: https://zapier.com/apps/hubspot/integrations

Let us know how you make out! I’m sure you won’t be the only person who is looking to automate the transfer of data from click/buttons/links so it would be great to be able to share this with others. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @123 Zap ! 

This sounds like a great feature. I wonder if HubSpot’s tracking URL could be helpful: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/how-do-i-create-a-tracking-url

Also, I saw that Zapier has a trigger with HubSpot for “New email event” or maybe the “New contact in List” could be helpful for you combined with the Hubspot tracking URL feature.

Maybe one of these might work. Let us know how it turned out!

Thank you @Csaba Rákász , @jesse , and @Troy Tessalone . I’m looking into Hubspot’s link tracking for emails, as it does sound like that would be the way to go.

Otherwise, I’ll try with Troy’s suggestion and some additional code to get UTM data.

Any suggestions welcome in the meantime!

@Csaba Rákász @jesse @Troy Tessalone 

Alright, might have found a way to do this, but need some help:

• I think I can create a HubSpot  list with the email IDs that have clicked on the link in the email.
  • It seems you can not get the email itself, just the HS ID for it.
  • That list likely can trigger a Zap to google sheets to input that ID every time someone clicks.

If that is correct, then it would be kind of annoying to not have the emails themselves. If that works, this could be the next step:

• I think by exporting the full email list from HubSpot, I can get a raw list of emails with IDs.
  • Then I’d create one sheet with all email and ID data, and one with just the IDs that clicked the link in the email.
  • Then set up a zap to compare both sheets and do something when it finds a match. Is this possible?

For example,  labeling, highlighting, or copying the emails over from one sheet to the other? Modifying the cell next to the emails so we can identify which emails clicked on the url.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@123 Zap 

If you have the HubSpot Contact ID, you can use a search step in the Zap to find the Contact email.

FYI: HubSpot triggers/actions include the ability to return additional data points.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If that is correct, then it would be kind of annoying to not have the emails themselves. If that works, this could be the next step:

• I think by exporting the full email list from HubSpot, I can get a raw list of emails with IDs.
  • Then I’d create one sheet with all email and ID data, and one with just the IDs that clicked the link in the email.
  • Then set up a zap to compare both sheets and do something when it finds a match. Is this possible?

For example,  labeling, highlighting, or copying the emails over from one sheet to the other? Modifying the cell next to the emails so we can identify which emails clicked on the url.

Thanks!

Hi @123 Zap,

I am glad some kind of solution is shaping out for you. 

It sounds like you can also solve your problem with a simple FLOOK in google sheet. You just compare your clicked ID sheet with your ID data sheet and look up the IDs. This is something that can be made once and then it will work automatically. 

So first I would gather the clicked IDs to a sheet with the solution you mentioned before. Then, within sheets you can use the FLOOK or VLOOK feature to compare IDs and find the emails. End finally, if you want you can even use different Google Sheet Zaps to do actions with those email addresses. 

Troy’s solution also sounds like it might work well!

Hope you can get some great automation set up to save time and effort for you! Let us know how can we continue to help!

Cheers!