Best answer

Zap to create multiple Google Tasks

Badge

I use Smartsheets for our customer database and want to automate tasks flowing from a Smartsheet cell to Google Tasks.

There is a column in Smartsheet and all tasks for a given customer are displayed in 1 cell of that column:

-Put folder together

-Schedule introduction call

-Prepare sales presentation

….all in 1 cell.

I want this list basically synced with Google Tasks. I have a Zapier Formatting step to separate the cell contents into 3 separate fields to create 3 separate Google Tasks. The challenge is how do I set it up to create multiple Google Tasks? It’s important to note that the number of tasks ranges from 1 to 8, not always 3. So the zap needs to check this and then create each Google task.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 25 May 2022, 18:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Davyn 

Good question.

Try using the Looping app to handle X number of line items: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Badge

Thanks Troy!

Maybe this will do it but having a challenge. I created a zap for it using Looping and not sure how to get it to go to the next result in the Smartsheet cell to create that as a new task. 

Zap created  a bunch of Google Tasks with only “Complete Enrollment” and missed the other 2 that were in the Smartsheet cell.

See zap screenshots

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn 

Try these Zap Steps:

1. Trigger: Smartsheets
  2. Action: Looping
  3. Action: GTasks - Create Task
Badge

HI Troy,

That is what I created. Do you mean get rid of the text formatter?

Badge

K got it! Will show screen shots below

Badge

Here are screen shots of zap and result.

The only limitation here (unless there is a workaround), is that I have to set up the Smartsheet cell with the max amount of items (tasks) that will ever be in that cell. Then I need to edit the zap looping with all the values to loop from that Smartsheet cell. Then it will loop until all are complete.

But what if I add more tasks to that Smartsheet cell in the future? Then I will have to go back and edit the Zap again to add the extra values. Is there a way to have the zap automatically loop until all values in the Smartsheet cell are created into Google Tasks without me having to go back to the Zap to add more?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Troy Tessalone just bringing you back into this thread! Looks like @Davyn has some followup questions for you. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn 

Is there a way to have the zap automatically loop until all values in the Smartsheet cell are created into Google Tasks without me having to go back to the Zap to add more?

Yes, the Looping app can handle up to 500 loops.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Let us know how you make out here @Davyn, I just wanted to summarize this thread in the meantime! So it looks like Troy’s recommendation to use Looping was correct, following these steps: 

And if in the future you need to add more tasks, the above steps should account for that and allow up to 500 Loops! 🙂

Badge

No this doesn't address the issue.

If you look at the screenshot text formatting by zapier you will see the output has 3 results. 

On the input i had to select each of the 3 values.

When the zap runs, it only creates 3 google tasks and doesn't find any ones in excess of 3. 

The loop needs to continue finding all values beyond the 3 i used in the zap set up and then create google tasks for each one. I currently have 24 values that could be created into 24 google tasks. So the question is do i have to set up my zap with 24 values in case all 24 are needed, instead of the 3? Or am i setting this up incorrectly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Davyn

To clarify, no Formatter step should be necessary in the proposed Zap steps below.

The Looping step will handle the variable number of line items.

Zap Steps

1. Map the Next Actions IF Statement variable to the Looping step
    2. Help article: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/help
    1. Map the output from the Looping step