Best answer

Zap isn't updating Salesforce record (field) in Mailchimp

• 28 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone 

I’ve created a custom field “picklist” for the contact object in salesforce to track what the status of a lead is “Prospect, Lead, Customer” 

I want our team to be able to update that status in salesforce and automatically update the corresponding field in MailChimp (also a picklist with the exact same options, spelled the same with the same case)

I created a zap using “update field” (also tested using “update record”). When the contact is updated from let's say nothing to “Prospect”. It will update Mailchimp. If I update it from “Prospect” to “Lead” it will update Mailchimp and finally if we update it from “Lead” to “Customer” it will update Mailchimp. 

The problem is when you try to update it again to any status that it previously had. For example, going from “Customer” to “Lead”. Nothing gets updated in Mailchimp. This is true for all the other combinations. 

I don’t understand why this is not updating Mailchimp every time it gets updated in salesforce. All I want to do is ensure Salesforce and Mailchimp are always in sync when it comes to this field. 

I was told by tech support that Zapier keeps a log and if it sees that it was let's say “Lead” once before then it won't update it in Mailchimp. This makes no sense to me. Isn’t the purpose of this tool to update records when they are changed? 

I need help to solve this. Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way but all I want to do is update one picklist with another between Salesforce and Mailchimp. 

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by steph.n 8 December 2020, 00:44

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Why would the Salesforce Object be changed to a previously set value? (e.g. Prospect > Lead > Prospect)
Wouldn’t the data flow be only this going forward?: NULL > Prospect > Lead > Customer

If true, then the Zap would only trigger once for each value and you shouldn’t have any issues.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for responding. Yes, I understand that logically you should not have to go back to a previous state. However, in this case, we do need to do that.  

This really should not be an issue in my mind because who cares what’s in the picklist what if it was (null, orange, blue, green,) all I want to do is ensure that the field is synced with Mailchimp. 

So if I change it to blue, then green, then blue again it should change that in Mailchimp should it not?

We’re talking about a change in a field why does it matter what is in that field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try the Salesforce Outbound Message Trigger solution which uses Salesforce workflow rules and webhooks.

Article: https://zapier.com/help/doc/tips-and-tricks-salesforce-triggers-and-actions#using-the-new-outbound-message-trigger

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Unfortunately, this does not work either. 

Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Posting here that the solution below was recommended: 

Hi Steve,

There currently isn't any other built-in way to allow the Zap to trigger a contact's status if it has previously seen this same status associated with the contact.

Perhaps you could create a custom field in Salesforce and have some sort of internal Salesforce automation/action increment the value in the this custom field each time the contact's marketing status is updated? If so, we should be able to specify that this incremented field as the one be used for the trigger field in the Updated Field on Record trigger event. My reasoning for this is that the value in this field will always be unique (1, 2, 3, and so on...), so the Zap would always trigger when when this field's value has been updated (in response to the marketing status field value being modified). A generated timestamp that is stored in this field should also do the trick, if that's easier to configure within Salesforce

I'm certainly not a Salesforce expert, but there seems to be an ISCHANGED() function which might be able to handle this for you: https://trailblazers.salesforce.com/answers?id=9063A000000Dk9ZQAS

Does that sound like it might be a simpler alternative?