Question

Zap error: Task stopped because it has diverged too much due to changes in the substitution of apps.

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I put together a zap that I had to make an adjustment after I ran it.  I received an error message that says “Task was stopped because its Zap has diverged too much due to changes in the addition/removal/ordering of steps, or substitution of apps.”  Is there something I can do to get this zap restarted?  Or do I have to start over completely?  If I have to start over completely and I am using airtable, should I just cut the rows and paste them somewhere else, turn the zap back on, and then repaste them back into the table?  Will that restart the zap completely?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @DavidP 

Good question.

The error is indicating the Zap Run can’t be replayed because the Zap steps changed too much.

You will need to trigger the Zap to run again for that record data.

How to do that will depend on how your Zap trigger step is configured.

We would need to see screenshots.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone.  My trigger is anytime I add or modify a row in Airtable.  If that’s the case, what constitutes a modify?  Is it anything that changes the column that says “Last Modified Time?”

Also, is it safe to say that if I received an error for that particular Zap, then all other tasks that I have scheduled through that same Zap will also have an error message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@DavidP 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap trigger step is configured.

Last Modified fields in Airtable can be configured to watch ALL fields OR specific fields.

Thank @Troy Tessalone I think I figured it out now.  Another question though; let’s say I have a task within a zap to send an email whenever a row is updated or modified within AirTable, and Zapier already sent out that email.  If I were to modify that row again, would the email be sent again?  Or is the system intuitive enough to know that it already sent that email?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @DavidP,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Yes, if you modify the row again, the zapped email will be sent again. Zapier's automation works per trigger basis. Every time the trigger event occurs (in this case, a row is updated or modified in AirTable), Zapier will implement the action (send an email).

Hopefully, this clears things up.