Question

WordPress: Appending content to via "update post"

• 13 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I just started creating my online website via wordpress.  I have incorporated automations with Zapier, but I have seem to have ran into a problem I am stuck on.  

Idea:  I am trying to grab posts from my facebook group and to have them automated to be posted onto my webstite.  

I got the first half to work with zapier grabbing the infromation from my facebook group and storing them in a airtable.

I got wordpress to access the tables for the information and to have zapier create/update posts for me when I need it to.

The problem I am having is when i update a post, it will completely change the content of the exisisting post already.  I would like the for the new content to be added into the post instead of just overwritting it.

Example - First post 
Title 
paragraph about cars

I would like the second post to look like 
Title 
paragaph about cars
paragraph about trucks  → New post from the fb group that will be auto posted to the exisiting post

what is happening is 
Title
paragraph about trucks/

please help 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @xKc, welcome to the Community!

When you add information in a field in an ‘update’ step, it will replace any existing information with the new information. 

To work around this, you need to add both the existing and new text into the post text. To do that, you’ll need a Find step in your Zap. If all of the information is in Airtable, you could use an Airtable Find Record step. After the Find record step, add an update record step and add the existing information and the new information from Facebook pages. If the original post is only in Wordpress, you can do the same thing using the Find Post and Update Post actions. 

This article covers the theory of this, it uses Google Calendar attendees instead of post content, but it’s the same principal. 

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!