Best answer

WooCommerce order to Stripe: how to set the currency?

• 18 October 2022
  • 8 replies

I there!

I would like to create an invoice in Stripe when an order is created in Woocommerce. But it looks like Stripe doesn’t support the currency field from WooCommerce. Shouldn’t it work with Metadata? We take orders in multiple currencies, so we cannot use the default currency of our stripe account.

Looking forward to your input.

Kind Regards,

Chris

icon

Best answer by Danvers 19 October 2022, 12:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @bali-chris 

Are you saying there is no currency field in the Stripe action ? 

Hi @MohSwellam! Yes, correct. I couldn’t find any :-/

There is currency and default currency but they don’t show up in “Set up action” when the customer is created. As far as I know I need to create the customer in the correct currency first before I can create an invoice for them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @bali-chris 

I checked Stripe API documentation, it seems this is in the Response but it is not in the Request body. It is however in the Invoice request, so it should be there when creating an invoice, but yes it is not there when creating a customer. 

Check the API documentation here https://stripe.com/docs/api/invoices/object 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @bali-chris! Thanks for flagging this in community!

I did some digging and while I wasn’t able to find a feature request for currency field support in the “Create Customer” Stripe action, I might recommend opening one with my teammates in support. Feel free to link back to this post too!

It doesn’t guarantee implementation but this way we’re able to continue to track and gauge interest. 🙂

Thanks @christina.d. I will make a feature request.

@MohSwellam: Stripe doesnt allow to change currency on the fly. The customer needs to be created in the correct currency first. Currencies for customers cannot be changed. We would need to create a new customer. Also I couldnt see any currency option when creating the payment link. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @bali-chris 

As per Stripe documents that is not true because their Customer endpoint doesnt allow setting the currency, its all set to USD. The Invoice endpoint and payment link endpoint has the option to set the currency. If the integration in Zapier doesnt have this (since its an optional field) you can use Webhooks by Zapier to create it

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @bali-chris!

I’m sorry that the Stripe integration doesn’t have the fields that you need. We don’t have an existing feature request to add the currency field to either the New Customer or New Payment Link actions, so could I ask you to reach out to the support team using the Get Help form to ask them to add that for you. 

Thanks!