Discussion

With Wunderlist shutting down May 6, which alternative will you be using?

With Wunderlist shutting down May 6, which alternative will you be using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We’ve known for a long time that Wunderlist would be retired. Microsoft acquired the popular to-do list app back in 2015, and nearly 5 years later we’ve reached Wunderlist’s end-of-life.

There may be some die-hards who will want to continue to use Wunderlist, but Microsoft had this to say back in December (emphasis mine):

After May 6th, your to-dos will no longer sync. For a period of time, you’ll still be able to import your lists into To Do. Starting today, we will no longer accept new Wunderlist sign-ups. 

Their successor, Microsoft To Do, has recently become more like Wunderlist, in spirit at least. Whether or not Wunderlist users will flock to the replacement remains to be seen.

We’d like to kick off a discussion to see what y’all will be moving to, as an alternative to-do app. There are lots to choose from, as you likely know. And Zapier integrates with over 30 of them

Some questions:

• Which to-do apps offer a Wunderlist import function?
  • Is To Do a close enough replacement that you’ll be taking the path of least resistance? Why or why not?
  • When choosing a Wunderlist alternative, what are "must-haves" in terms of Triggers and Actions and why?

I look forward to seeing what the Zapier community is thinking in terms of saying goodbye to Wunderlist and moving to a new app!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve actually become less reliant on Todo-lists in general in recent times. I don’t know what made me switch, but I suspect G-Mail’s “Snooze emai” feature and embedded To-Do list has been the main reason.

I am a Todois Grand-Master, but these days I’m never compelled to go in and look at Todoist, and I can’t tell you why - It could be because I’ve compartmentalised everything I’ve been doing with more robust, automated solutions, or it could be just that there’s no a lot that I need to manage in this way anymore. 

I can’t really articulate why, but I just don’t seem to need To Do list apps anymore

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Todoist has been a favorite for years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m such a fan of Asana and ClickUp. My favorite Zap is to use Slack emoji reactions to send my task to Asana to assign to myself with tags, due dates, and follow-up subtasks all ready to go. 

I also use Email by Zapier to create tasks in Asana for myself without ever opening Gmail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@steph.n Are Asana and Clickup not really similar. Is there a use case for using both to manage projects?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@steph.n Are Asana and Clickup not really similar. Is there a use case for using both to manage projects?

My last company moved from Asana to ClickUp for expanded features. Asana is great if you’re looking for collaborative shared task and project management. ClickUp does a wide range of things, that are cross-functional and cross-team collaboration. I definitely would not recommend using both at the same time, but rather that’s what my previous experience was at previous companies. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I really REALLY liked Clickup for the first week, but I actually began to find it overwhelming in the end. 

I will give it another go, as it’s a great product, and seemingly so much more flexible than Asana

So I’ve switched from Wunderlist to MS To Do. It looks very similar. How can I automate sending things to To Do via Gmail? 

What’s the easiest way? I found this but don’t have any Zapier experience: https://zapier.com/apps/gmail/integrations/microsoft-todo

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

And now, from the makers of Wunderlist...Superlist: https://superlistapp.com.

It’ll be interesting to see what this becomes!

And there are some Microsoft To Do updates that were reported yesterday too: https://www.neowin.net/news/major-microsoft-to-do-update-for-all-platforms-brings-smart-lists-and-more/

The highlights include the addition of new All and Completed smart lists, bringing a new way to view lists, group contents by list or date, updated Today and Week view in the Planned list on Android, and more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@michiganjeff at the bottom of that page, you should see these Zap templates:

You can click on Try It and then you’ll start with that pre-made Zap, with much of the work done for you already :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Trello. We made the move to Trello after trying the new MS App for a couple of weeks. Since we’ve moved to Trello our productivity has gone through the roof. They have the Butler that lets you do some automation from within the app, and Trello plays well with other automation tools like Zapier. 

I can’t live without Trello now. It’s the heart of my business. At this point much of my Trello card making is automated from Jotform order forms. Cards are created when a new order comes in and moved into our print queue automatically when  the payment comes in. Trello rocks.