Question

Why Can't Zapier Make My Google Sheet Headers Automatically?

• 10 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Hey there,

I am brand new to Zapier but not new to automation. I’ve set up some Google Sheet integrations with random apps before, and have written one or two with Javacript as well.

My question is this: why is it necessary to manually map fields for a Zapier integation with a Google Sheet when it should be easy for Zapier to simply make the Column Headers the names of the object keys coming from the API?

For example, I have an API sending me a key:value pair like “Applicant Title: Jane Doe”. Why can’t Zapier simply make the the first column of my Sheet “Applicant Title” and the first row “Jane Doe”?

If this is possible, I would love to know how. 

Thank you!

PLDS

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @pleiadespw 

To help us have more context, which GSheet Zap action are you trying to use?

https://zapier.com/apps/google-calendar/integrations#triggers-and-actions

I’m using the Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets Zap but I’d gladly use another one if that would solve this problem. I’m trying to integrate software called GoodGrants with Google Sheets

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pleiadespw 

To use a GSheet in Zaps, the GSheet needs to have headers in Row 1.

You can map variable between Zap steps using the ‘Custom’ option. (help)

There is a Beta feature available to “Generate Values”.

I’m having trouble finding this Custom step. Is it found when I click on the + symbol between Zaps? I haven’t seen this Generate Values feature anywhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pleiadespw 

It’s a Beta feature that is not available to all users yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pleiadespw 

You can map variable between Zap steps using the ‘Custom’ option. (help)

EXAMPLE

I’m afraid that’s not really relevant, but it sounds like it’s not possible to automatically apply Google Sheet headers. Thanks anyways!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pleiadespw 

There are 2 GSheet Zap actions related to Headers.