Question

What parameter should I use to update a Chatfuel subscriber via Zapier if the messenger ID is nonexistent?

• 31 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am building a whatsapp based chatbot in chatfuel, and currently trying to connect it with chatgpt via zapier. I am stuck in the last step of updating the attribute back into chatfuel. I am trying to use the “Update Subscriber” action, but it required using the messenger ID, which is nonexistent (since the chat is whatsapp based). I tried using the whatsapp_user_id, chatfuel_id, and a few other ids that I was able to find via the “find subscriber” action, but all failed. What parameter should I use?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @On2210,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, the “Action” section of your action steps that shows all of its fields? Here’s an example screenshot:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

Hi @ken.a,

Here are 2 screenshots. The first one shows the overall structure of my zap, and the second shows the last action (number 4), which fails to update the attribute. I left the subscriber field empty since all the inputs that I have tried inserting did not work.

In Action 3 (Find a Subscriber) I was able to find the subscriber pretty easily searching by the phone number connected to the whatsapp account, but this also failed in Action 4.

Thanks in advance :)

Omer

P.S: Actions 1-3 were tested and work properly

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @On2210,

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and this turned out to be a feature request. They replied today with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

I've taken a look at your Zap and, according to the Chatfuel helptext, the ID should be "Messenger User ID":

Since the field is empty because the chat doesn't exist in Messenger, I have created a feature request with the team in charge of the integration, to not require the Messenger User ID. I've added your email to it, which allows us to keep track of these requests and update you if this is released.

For reference, we can't guarantee that feature requests are implemented and if they do, how long it takes, because there are so many variables at play. However, while I can't guarantee if this will be implemented, or a timeline, we will send you an email if it is!

In the meantime, one possible solution to integrate with WhatsApp is to use a different app, like WATI: https://zapier.com/apps/wati/integrations

If you have any further questions about their suggestion, it would be wonderful to keep the conversation going via email. If you're having a bit of trouble finding their response. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.