Best answer

What is the best way to manually approve leads into my CRM using the "New or Updated row" trigger?

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I’m setting up a Zap where the leads acquired from a Typeform are collected into a Google Sheet.

Using a second Zap, i’d like to manually approve (through checkboxes or dropdown options) the leads: the approved leads would then be transferred inside my Dynamics 365 CRM.

The problem is, if i used checkboxes while watching row changes inside a specific column with the “New or Updated row” option, the zap wouldn’t always trigger and i don’t understand why the leads aren’t always added to the CRM.

I still haven’t tried with the dropdown menu.

What can i do?

I also have a couple questions:

I’ve seen that Zapier only detects new values inside a specific cell (and it doesn’t detect values which have already been “watched” inside that cell in the past), as written here by @Troy Tessalone (thank you Troy!): 

• What happens if, say, i delete row #2 and then re-create it? Will Zapier “reset” and be able to see “old” values again?
  • What happens if i delete row #2 and the following row (#3) replaces it, becoming #2?

I’m asking that since i will need to keep my Google Sheet clean: i’d like to delete leads from the sheet after they’ve been imported to the CRM. Will that affect new entries, since they will “occupy” the same row numbers which have already been “used” with old values? Since Zapier doesn’t “see” old values, i don’t know if it will work. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 21 June 2022, 00:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Shiroyasha 

Good questions.

Overall, I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets to overcome these shortcomings when using GSheets in Zaps.

• Airtable has Views.
  • Views have Filters.
  • Views can be used to trigger Zaps.

What happens if, say, i delete row #2 and then re-create it? Will Zapier “reset” and be able to see “old” values again?

Yes, assuming you delete the entire row, not just the data in the row.

What happens if i delete row #2 and the following row (#3) replaces it, becoming #2?

Nothing.

Hey thanks for the super helpful reply. I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I haven't quite mastered the search function on here. I think I'll pass with him this time around. If i want any further guideline we will contact you here https://community.zapier.com/general-questions-3/what-is-the-best-way-to-manually-approve-leads-into-my-crm-using-the-new-or-updated-row-trigger-15896-results/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Shiroyasha!

I’m asking that since i will need to keep my Google Sheet clean: i’d like to delete leads from the sheet after they’ve been imported to the CRM. Will that affect new entries, since they will “occupy” the same row numbers which have already been “used” with old values?

If you delete a row, the row beneath will ‘become’ that row (eg if you delete row 3, row 4 becomes row 3, etc). If you make a structural change to a Google Sheet while a Zap is connected to it, it can cause issues with your Zap:

The following changes to a sheet while a Zap is switched on can cause a disconnect with your Zap:

• Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging new columns

If you need to make any of those types of changes to your Google Sheet, you will need to turn your Zap off while you make the change, and then turn it back on again after. If you need to head down this route then you can use the Zapier Chrome extension and Zapier manager to make it easier for you: Trigger from a new push in the Chrome Extension and use the Zapier manager action turn Zap on/off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Shiroyasha 

cc: @Danvers 

Keep in mind there are 2 concepts of deleting a row.

1. Deleting the contents only in the row will leave a blank row
  2. Deleting a row will cause rows below to move up 1 row

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Very good point @Troy Tessalone!

If you either delete the row or empty the row and refill the with new data, you’ll run into problems with an updated spreadsheet row trigger. You could set up your sheet so that you empty rows that you’ve completed and only add new rows to the bottom of the sheet, which would work but wouldn’t be my preference as it can start to look very messy!

Overall, although you can do this with Google Sheets, I agree that it would be easier to do with Airtable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey friends! I wanted to drop in and summarize some of the awesome responses from Troy and Danvers.

Hi @Shiroyasha!

I’m asking that since i will need to keep my Google Sheet clean: i’d like to delete leads from the sheet after they’ve been imported to the CRM. Will that affect new entries, since they will “occupy” the same row numbers which have already been “used” with old values?

If you delete a row, the row beneath will ‘become’ that row (eg if you delete row 3, row 4 becomes row 3, etc). If you make a structural change to a Google Sheet while a Zap is connected to it, it can cause issues with your Zap:

The following changes to a sheet while a Zap is switched on can cause a disconnect with your Zap:

• Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging new columns

If you need to make any of those types of changes to your Google Sheet, you will need to turn your Zap off while you make the change, and then turn it back on again after. If you need to head down this route then you can use the Zapier Chrome extension and Zapier manager to make it easier for you: Trigger from a new push in the Chrome Extension and use the Zapier manager action turn Zap on/off. 

Troy added this point regarding deleting rows:

1. Deleting the contents only in the row will leave a blank row
  2. Deleting a row will cause rows below to move up 1 row

Hope this helps! 👋🏽