Best answer

What is the best way to get column data for any task?

• 26 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

So, I’m trying to create a zap from Monday to Asana. When a task is updated, I would like the zap to dynamically find the task in Asana with the same title and update the column (or just update it in general with a notice that something has changed). I am not sure of the best way to do this - it seems like I have to have a task name already but I would like it to reference the name in Monday and try to find an exact match (I have a zap set up to add the task already). Is this possible? If not, what is the best workaround?

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 26 April 2023, 00:31

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @vvvalentina!

There are a couple of ways to tackle this in terms of the actions for Asana:

1. Find Task by ID
  2. Find Task in Project

For the first option you would need to have a field in Monday that contains the ID of the corresponding Asana task. That should certainly be possible, but it does add one more step into the equation.

For the second option, you have to specify the project, so depending how many projects you might have, that can mean creating multiple Zaps (one per project), a single Zap with Paths (one path per project), or some sort of lookup table that takes the project in Monday and dynamically outputs the ID of the Asana project.

Can you elaborate a bit on the overall workflow, so we can see which one of these options might be the best approach?

Userlevel 1

Hi @vvvalentina!

There are a couple of ways to tackle this in terms of the actions for Asana:

1. Find Task by ID
  2. Find Task in Project

For the first option you would need to have a field in Monday that contains the ID of the corresponding Asana task. That should certainly be possible, but it does add one more step into the equation.

For the second option, you have to specify the project, so depending how many projects you might have, that can mean creating multiple Zaps (one per project), a single Zap with Paths (one path per project), or some sort of lookup table that takes the project in Monday and dynamically outputs the ID of the Asana project.

Can you elaborate a bit on the overall workflow, so we can see which one of these options might be the best approach?

I think the second would be the best approach here. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @vvvalentina,

I’m glad my colleague nicksimard was able to help!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗