Question

What is "ROOM" & "TEAM" when connecting UPWORK to a Zap.

• 3 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

What is "ROOM" & "TEAM" when connecting UPWORK to a Zap.

When I am connecting my Upwork I’d to a zap it is asking room and team.. Anyone can guide me how and where to select the room and team. While not showing me any team in the dropdown. what should I do?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @OmerTech23,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I’m here to help provide you the meaning of “Room” & “Team” in Upwork based on our notes.

• What are Rooms? When a client sends a direct message or responds to a proposal on Upwork, it creates a message room in Upwork Messages. Documentation here
  • What are Teams? The Teams feature is a way of grouping Contracts/clients. Documentation here

So if the client/contract isn't assigned to the Team in Upwork, the Room Dropdown field won't load it (even though the you can see it in the UpWork Messages)

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction. Please let me know if you have any other questions. 😊

@ken.a Hope you are doing good. So I was also curious to know about the above info. I have few more questions based on your response. Once I connect my upwork account with Zapier it is showing me the following .. 

• Firstly I had to choose an Upwork Event, that was “NEW MESSAGE” as there was no other option available and then I connected my upwork account and the connection is also showing up in my account settings. 
  • Once the above is done, I have to choose Trigger here it is showing up 2 fields. 1) Team 2) Room. So when I go to Team it give me few options for the accounts those are connected with mine as a Team. So I choose one of them (But what is the purpose of this ? is there any relevancy to my account as I am working as a freelancer, If I am bidding on projects as a freelancing without choosing any of the connected team accounts) as this field is mandatory so I have to choose one. 
  • The 2nd option is for Room, here it is not offering any suggestions, so how I need to connect my room with zapier? I have tried with a url but it is not working, also I have provided a custom field with “NONE” as my selected option. But it is failing on testing.

• Ultimately when I am testing the trigger it fails. 

I just wanted to ask, if you have used this yourself and it is really working for a freelancer account on upwork? or it is still in testing phase ? TIA. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @Aly,

​​​​Unfortunately, the “New Message” trigger is the only supported trigger with the Upwork integration at the moment. What kind of trigger are you looking for in the Upwork integration? Please let me know.

Based on the trigger and action step of Upwork it looks like the integration is mainly focused about messaging.

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction.

@ken.a Thanks for your reply, I want to know more about how to update on input info in the 2 fields Team & Room detailed explanation is mentioned below. 

• 1) Team 2) Room. So when I go to Team it gives me few options for the accounts those are connected already as Team. So I choose one of them (But what is the purpose of this ? is there any relevancy to my account as I am working as a freelancer, If I am bidding on projects as a freelancing without choosing any of the connected team accounts) as this field is mandatory so I have to choose one.

• The 2nd option is for Room, here it is not offering any suggestions, so how I need to connect my room it with zapier? I have tried with a url but it is not working, also I have provided a custom field with “NONE” as my selected option. But it is failing on testing.

TIA. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Aly,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I was able to dig deeper on why the “Room” dropdown field is not showing any options. Here’s what our notes says about this:

So if the client/contract isn't assigned to the Team in Upwork, the Room Dropdown field won't load it (even though the customer can see it in the UpWork Messages)

Type of Account This also seems to happen when the user is using an app connection that is a "Freelancers" account instead of a "Client" account.

It looks like “Freelancers” account is the reason why there is no choices in the “Room” dropdown field.

Hopefully, this helps!